22 April 1990 |
Newcastle, New South Wales
|Medium||Stand-up comedy, television|
Nicholson won the 2012 Time Out Award for Best Newcomer at the Sydney Comedy Festival. He performed his debut solo show at the 2012 Melbourne International Comedy Festival and also toured the east coast of NSW and Queensland as part of the inaugural Breakout Comedy Tour.
He was a finalist of the Raw Comedy Award in 2009 and performed at the Sydney Comedy Festival in 2010. A regular at the Sydney Comedy Store, Nicholson is well known for his acerbic wit and big hair.
He has also been a contributor to InZine magazine. In 2008 he contributed an artwork piece which made light of depression and self-harm which highlighted his often audacious style; however, this drew public criticism.
Nicholson is openly gay and his comedy is largely focused on awkward sexual encounters, which he has described on stage as "a series of terrifying events." He has featured on two seasons of the Comedy Channel's Balls of Steel Australia in the segment "Just Come Out", in which he looks for people with whom to perform sexual acts, sometimes deliberately mistaking phrases for uses of gay slang.
- "Forward" (2015 Melbourne International Comedy Festival)
- "Almost a Person" (2012 Melbourne International & Sydney Comedy Festivals)
- 2012 Cracker Night Gala (Metro Theatre)
- "Bitch PR" sketch in Fiona O’Loughlin’s 2012 show, "The Divine Miss O" (national tour)
- Breakout Comedy (2012 Brisbane Comedy Festival, as part of an east coast tour)
- "Social Liability" (2011 Sydney Fringe Festival)
- 2009 Raw Comedy Showcase (national broadcast)
2012 Time Out Award for Best Newcomer, Sydney Comedy Festival
Television and film
- Housos vs Authority (2013), feature film
- Calming Rhys Nicholson (2012–), web series
- Balls of Steel (2011–2012), "Just Came Out" segment, TV program airing on Comedy Channel
- "Ready, Steady, Comedy Festival!". Sydney Comedy Festival. 22 March 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Dinneen, Martin (31 July 2008). "Youth defends Loft magazine". Newcastle Herald. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Maynard (20 January 2009). "Rhys Nicholson, local boy made good?". 1233 ABC Newcastle (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Martin, Jon (25 February 2010). "Rhys Nicholson on the Gay Dating Scene". Gawker.TV. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Rhys Nicholson Is Alone (Official blog)