Richard B. Parkinson
Richard Bruce Parkinson (born 25 May 1963) is a British Egyptologist and academic. He is Professor of Egyptology at the University of Oxford and a fellow of The Queen's College, Oxford. Until December 2013 he was a curator in the Department of Ancient Egypt and Sudan, British Museum.
Parkinson was born on 25 May 1963. He was a student at The Queen's College, University of Oxford. In 1985, he graduated Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Oriental Studies (Egyptology with Coptic). He then undertook research for his Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) thesis. It was a commentary on The Tale of the Eloquent Peasant and was submitted in 1988.
Parkinson was a Teaching Fellow at the Oriental Institute, University of Oxford from 1988 to 1989. From 1989 to 1991, he worked at the Department of Egyptian Antiquities, British Museum as a Special Assistant in epigraphy. He then became the Lady Wallis Budge Junior Research Fellow in Egyptology at University College, Oxford.
In 1991, he became a curator of the British Museum as Assistant Keeper of Ancient Egyptian pharaonic culture. He responsibilities inluded the maintenance and publication of ancient papyri written in Egyptian hieroglyphs and cursive hieratic, as well as inscribed material such as the Rosetta stone. He was the supervisor of archived material, collections, and epigraphy, and the curator of the Nebamun wall-paintings.
From 1993 to 1998, he was editor of the Journal of Egyptian Archaeology. He is a visiting lecturer of the University of Göttingen and University of Cologne. On 1 October 2013, he was appointed Professor of Egyptology in the Faculty of Oriental Studies, University of Oxford. Spending the first term part time, he took on the position full time in January 2014.
Parkinson's main area of research is Ancient Egyptian literature. As well as academic monographs and articles, he has written popular books on Egyptology. In 2004 he collaborated in a translation of Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Peter Rabbit into hieroglyphs.
- Parkinson, R B (1991), The Tale of the eloquent Peasant, Griffith Institute, ISBN 978-0-900416-60-6
- Parkinson, R B (1991), Voices from ancient Egypt : an anthology of Middle Kingdom writings, British Museum, ISBN 978-0-7141-0961-9
- Parkinson, R B (1999), The Tale of Sinuhe and other ancient Egyptian poems, 1940-1640 BC, New York, ISBN 978-0-19-283966-4
- Parkinson, R B; Diffie, Whitfield; Fischer, M; Simpson, R S (1999), Cracking codes : the Rosetta stone and decipherment, University of California Press, ISBN 978-0-520-22248-9
- Parkinson, R B (2002), Poetry and culture in Middle Kingdom Egypt : a dark side to perfection, Athlone publications in Egyptology and ancient Near Eastern studies, Continuum, ISBN 978-0-8264-5637-3
- Parkinson, R B (2005), The Rosetta Stone, British Museum objects in focus, British Museum Press, ISBN 978-0-7141-5021-5
- Parkinson, R B (2008), The painted tomb-chapel of Nebamun : masterpieces of ancient Egyptian art in the British Museum, British Museum Press, ISBN 0-7141-1979-2
- Parkinson, R.B. (2009), Reading ancient egyptian poetry : among other histories, Wiley-Blackwell, ISBN 1-4051-2547-0
- Parkinson, R B (1992), "Literary Form and the "Tale of the Eloquent Peasant"", The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 78: 163–178, ISSN 0307-5133, JSTOR 3822070, OCLC 480080131
- Schofield, L; Parkinson, R B (1994), "Of Helmets and Heretics: A Possible Egyptian Representation of Mycenaean Warriors on a Papyrus from El-Amarna", The Annual of the British School at Athens 89: 157–170, doi:10.1017/s0068245400015343, ISSN 0068-2454, JSTOR 30102567, OCLC 486343916
- Parkinson, R B (1995), "'Homosexual' Desire and Middle Kingdom Literature", The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 81: 57–76, ISSN 0307-5133, JSTOR 3821808, OCLC 480085518
- Parkinson, R B (1997), "A Re-Identified Fragment from the Tomb of Ibi (TT 36)", The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 83: 222–223, ISSN 0307-5133, JSTOR 3822469, OCLC 480089488
- "Richard Bruce Parkinson CV". University of Copenhagen. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Parkinson, Richard (1988), The tale of the eloquent peasant : a commentary, University of Oxford, OCLC 556429902
- "Richard B. Parkinson". University of Copenhagen. 2009. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Richard Parkinson". British Museum. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Appointments - Humanities". University of Oxford. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Jack Malvern, Arts Reporter (December 31, 2004). "Potter's Peter told in Ancient Egyptian". The Times.; Potter, Beatrix; Nunn, John F. (2006), Tale of Peter Rabbit: Hieroglyph Edition, British Museum Press, ISBN 978-0-7141-8209-4
- "Prof. Richard Parkinson". New Bulgarian University. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Richard Parkinson (14 March 2006). "Tomb Mates". The Advocate 958: 12. ISSN 0001-8996.