Richard Jackson (artist)
Sacramento, California, U.S.
|Works||The Maid's Room / The Dining Room 2007|
Since the 1970s Jackson has developed in his work an interrogation of painting that combines conceptual procedures, humour and extreme disorder. He expands the activity of painting, abandons its traditional instruments for machines, vehicles and everyday objects. For this reason he has been referred to as a Neo-Dadaist.
Jackson has brought the material dimensions of painting to extremes. "Big Ideas" from 1981 consisted of hundreds of painted canvases stacked into a sphere of 5 meters in diameter. His exhibition, The Maid's Room / The Dining Room (2007) is a tribute to Marcel Duchamp's last major work: Etant donnés.
Jackson's recent solo exhibitions include,'The Little Girl’s Room', David Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles CA, (2011) and 'Accidents in Abstract Painting', The Armory Center for the Arts, Pasadena CA, (2012). The latter saw Jackson fly and crash a radio-controlled, model military plane with a fifteen-foot wingspan, filled with paint, into a twenty-foot wall that read “accidents in abstract painting.” The spectacle, free and open to the public, took place at Pasadena’s Arroyo Seco. In 2013, he was the subject of a retrospective exhibition at the Orange County Museum of Art.
- Richard Jackson: Ain't Painting a Pain, Orange County Museum of Art, Newport Beach, CA
- Richard Jackson: Accidents in Abstract Painting, Armory Center for the Arts, Pasadena CA
- The Little Girl’s Room, David Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles CA
- Richard Jackson, Rennie Collection, Vancouver, Canada
- Richard Jackson – Big Pig, Kunststiftung Erich Hauser, Rottweil, Germany
- Richard Jackson: Red Room/Green Room, Armory Center for the Arts, Pasadena CA
- The Laundry Room, Hauser & Wirth, Zürich, Switzerland
- The Maid's Room / The Dining Room, Galerie Georges-Philippe & Nathalie Vallois, Paris, France
- Yvon Lambert Gallery, The War Room, New York NY
- Richard Jackson: Werke aus der Friedrich Christian Flick Collection, Hamburger Bahnhof, Berlin, Germany
- Beer, Deer, Bear, Parisa Kind Gallery, Francfurt, Germany
- The Pink Empire, Hauser & Wirth, London, UK
- Unusual Behaviour, Galerie Georges-Philippe & Nathalie Vallois, Paris, France
- Dick's Pictures, Haswellediger & Co Gallery, New York, USA
- The Three Bears, Foundation 20 21, New York, USA
- Accidents in Abstract Paintings, Hauser & Wirth, Zürich, Switzerland
- Senn Gallery, Vienna, Austria
- Richard Jackson, Galerie Georges-Philippe & Nathalie Vallois (Project Room)
- BAWAG Foundation, Vienna, Austria
- Deer Beer, Hauser & Wirth, Zürich, Switzerland
- De Nada – One Man Show, Art Jonction, Nice, France, (March, Stuttgart)
- Paint Ball, David Zwirner Gallery, New York, USA
- Wall Painting / Room Installation, Galerie zur Kastanienallee, Leuk-Stadt, Switzerland
- carol Vogel, The New York Times, June 14, 1999.
- Christopher Knight, "Art review: 'Richard Jackson: Ain't Painting a Pain' shows life", Los Angeles Times, February 20, 2013.