Richard Melancthon Hurd
|Richard Melancthon Hurd|
|Born||Richard Melancthon Hurd
June 14, 1865
Brooklyn, New York
|Died||June 6, 1941
New York City, New York
St. Paul's School
|Occupation||Real estate economist, Banker, Political activist, New York State Prison Commissioner|
|Employer||U.S. Mortgage & Trust Company
Mortgage Bond Company of New York
Lawyers Mortgage Trust
Board member of
|American Defense Society|
Mary (Hurd) Lawrence
Lucy Lea Hurd
|Parent(s)||Lucy (Gazzam) Hurd|
Richard Melancthon Hurd (June 14, 1865 – June 6, 1941) was a pioneer real estate economist and political activist.
Hurd was born in New York City and attended St. Paul's School. He graduated from Yale University in 1888, where he was a member of Skull and Bones:36–37 and an editor of The Yale Record.
He headed the mortgage department of the U.S. Mortgage & Trust Company in 1895. He married in 1898 and had five children. He was president of the Lawyers' Mortgage Insurance Company in 1903 when he published Principles of City Land Values.
During the First World War he was active as an officer of the American Defense Society, an organization that promoted America's entry into World War I and civilian initiatives to suppress dissent during the conflict. He was a close friend of Theodore Roosevelt. In 1917, when he was vice=president and director of the Mortgage Bond Company of New York, he was appointed a New York State Prison Commissioner. He was later President of Lawyers Mortgage Trust, a securitizer of urban commercial property mortgages. The company suffered financial losses and closed during the depression.
- New York Times: "Richard M. Hurd, 75, Finance Firm Head," June 7, 1941, accessed May 26, 2010
- Charles Ives, Essays Before a Sonata: The Majority and Other Writings (NY: Norton, 1962), 257
- James Malcolm, ed., The New York Red Book (Albany: J.B. Lyon Company, 1917), 103 View, accessed May 26, 2010
- "OBITUARY RECORD OF GRADUATES OF YALE UNIVERSITY DECEASED DURING THE YEAR 1940-1941" (PDF). Yale University. January 1, 1942. Retrieved March 26, 2011.
- "Richard Melancthon Hurd". The tenth general catalogue of the Psi Upsilon Fraternity. Bethlehem, PA: The Comenius Press. March, 1888. p. 297.
- Hurd, City Land Values, preface p. v
- Richard Melancthon Hurd, Principles of City Land Values (NY: Real Estate Record Association, 1903), archive.org: View, accessed May 24, 2010
- New York Times: "German Boycott Efforts," November 18, 1918, accessed May 24, 2010
- New York Times: "Attacks German Insurance," November 12, 1917, accessed May 24, 2010
- New York Times: "Wants No Credit Given to Germany," November 22, 1918, accessed May 24, 2010
- Richard M. Hurd, "Principles of City Land Values" (1903)
- John W. Leonard, ed., Who's Who in New York City and State (NY: L.R. Hamersly & Company, 1909), vol. 4, 716, View