October 22, 1954 |
Paterson, New Jersey
1982-presentWife: Dr. Francesca Marini
Rick Schmidlin (born October 22, 1954) is a film preservationist and silent film scholar, and an occasional producer-director whose work has focused on restorations, reconstructions and documentaries. Until 2010, he taught for the University of British Columbia in the School of Library, Archival, and Information Studies as an adjunct faculty member.
Schmidlin produced the films The Doors: Live at the Hollywood Bowl and The Doors:The Soft Parade - A Retrospective (1991). In 1986 he was an assistant producer on David Cronenberg's The Fly. He also re-edited the Elvis Presley concert film Elvis: That's the Way It Is.
Schmidlin produced the re-edit of the Erich von Stroheim film Greed, to give a sense of what the original lost version of the film might have been like, and produced the re-edited Orson Welles' film Touch of Evil.
More recently Schmidlin has led a team of restorers in reconstructing (from stills and shooting continuity scripts) the famous lost horror film London After Midnight starring Lon Chaney and directed by Tod Browning. and produced the restoration in 2000 of The Dickson Experimental Sound Film and was selected for inclusion in the United States National Film Registry.
Schmidlin has received the Special Award from the New York Film Critics Circle, a Special Citation from the National Society of Film Critics, and a Special Citation from Los Angeles Film Critics Association for his work on Touch of Evil. For his work reconstructing Greed he, along with Roger Mayer and Turner Classic Movies, won a Special Citation from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association. In 2001 he received the Rondo Award from the Classic Horror Film Board for London After Midnight that he produced for TCM.
- "Adjunct Faculty Contact Information". Retrieved 26 Mar 2010.
- "The Doors: Live at the Hollywood Bowl (1968)". New York Times. Retrieved 25 Mar 2010.
- "The Doors: The Soft Parade – A Retrospective (1991)". New York Times. Retrieved 25 Mar 2010.
- "The Fly (1986)". Film.com. Retrieved 25 Mar 2010.
- "New Footage Shows the Way It Was for Elvis, in Concert". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 25 Mar 2010.
- "Greed". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- French, Lawrence. "Orson Welles' Memo on Touch of Evil". Wellesnet: The Orson Welles Web Resource. Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- "New York Film Critics Circe 1998 Awards". New York Film Critics Circle. Retrieved 25 Mar 2010.
- "Past Awards". National Society of Film Critics. Retrieved 25 Mar 2010.
- "24th Annual Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards". Los Angeles Film Critics Association. Retrieved 25 Mar 2010.
- "25th Annual Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards". Los Angeles Film Critics Association. Retrieved 25 Mar 2010.
|This article about a film producer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|