Rime (video game)
|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Producer(s)||Chris Jones |
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
Development and design
Conceptual design of the game began during the development of Deadlight. An early iteration was an action role-playing game concept originally under the title Echoes of Siren; the game was to include hunting and crafting elements during a day cycle, preparing for combat including tower defence elements during a night cycle; other key game elements were to be exploration, avatar development and customisation. The game was offered to Microsoft as an exclusive Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) title and possible Windows 8 game; initially Microsoft greenlit the game, but the design was later rejected due to a mismatch with Microsoft's Xbox One XBLA publishing policies which emphasised multiplayer and other social gaming. A development budget was approved by Sony, and the game became a PlayStation 4 exclusive.
The first released trailer for the game was shown in August 2013 in the indie game section of Sony's press conference at Gamescom; showing third person, adventure video game-type gameplay with a 'cel-shaded' art style; the trailer gameplay and art drew comparisons to games by Team Ico, as well Journey by Thatgamecompany, and to Zelda game Wind Waker, and resulted in an initial positive response from journalists. Creative director Raúl Rubio has also referenced the films Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Jason and the Argonauts as well as the art work of Joaquin Sorolla, Salvador Dalí and Giorgio de Chirico as influences.
The game's back story involves a boy who needs to escape an island and a curse; the game, played through the boy as the in-game avatar, involves puzzle solving in an open world island setting; The game design uses the island environment itself, and audio without a spoken narrative to tell the game's story, a day-night mechanic was retained from the 'Echoes of Siren' design, with light influencing gameplay as well as visual appearance.
- Briggs, Jamie (28 August 2013), "Tequila Works Creative Director Talks PlayStation 4 Exclusive 'Rime'", analogaddiction.org
- "Entrevista Raúl Rubio, CEO y Director Creativo de Tequila Works", www.iosgamerszone.com (in Spanish), Sep 2013,
..pero ahora estamos centrados a tope con "RiME". [...] ¿Estáis empleando tecnología propia o algún motor comercial? Unreal de Epic. Actualmente la versión 4. [..] complementados con modificaciones propias, claro
- "Tequila Works' next game, RiME, will be published with SCEWWS as a First Party PS4 exclusive!". tequilaworks.com. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Interview with Rime's Creative Director, Raul Rubio Munarriz", www.ign.com, 7 February 2014
- "RIME (former Echoes of Siren) dismissed by Microsoft", www.vgleaks.com, 19 February 2014
- Casu, Daniele (19 February 2014), "Leaked Rime document presents gameplay features", gematsu.com
- Caballero, David (21 February 2014), "Tequila Works defends Microsoft: "Rime couldn't adapt"", www.gamereactor.eu
- Jackson, Mike (3 September 2013). "PS4 adventure Rime teased in new gameplay video". CVG.
- Mejia, Ozzie (20 August 2013). "Rime for PS4". shacknews.
- Schreier, Jsaon (20 August 2013), "This Cool PS4 Game Looks Like Wind Waker Had A Baby With Ico", Kotaku
- "Rime gives you reason to be excited for PS4", www.destructiod.com, 3 September 2013
- Barker, Sammy (29 August 2013), Tequila Works: RIME on PS4 Tells a Tale with No Words
- "Rime", uk.playstation.com, retrieved Dec 2013,
The story of a boy who must [..] escape from – a mysterious island and a terrible curse [..] an open-world adventure
- García, Albert (14 October 2013), "Rime: Hablamos con Raúl Rubio de Tequila Works", www.eurogamer.es (in Spanish)
- "Rime PS4 Trailer", www.youtube.com (video) (Sony Computer Entertainment), 3 September 2013
- "RIME Trailer #2, GamesCom 2014", www.youtube.com (Tequila Works), 12 August 2014
- Bertol, Jose Luis Vaello (2014), "Rime: A Symphony of Images", Game Developers Conference, archived from the original on 29 March 2014