He was educated at St Paul's School, London, and studied at the University of Oxford. His expert knowledge of early instruments and the interpretation of pre-classical music owed much to a period of study with Arnold Dolmetsch at Haslemere, Surrey.
- The Instruments of Music (1949)
- Tempo and Rhythm in Bach's Organ Music (1960)
- The Interpretation of Early Music (1963)
- Wagner's Ring and its Symbols (1963)
- The Rise of Opera (1981)
- Baroque Music: Style and Performance, a Handbook (1982)
Sadie, S. (ed.) (1980) The New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians, [vol. #5].
- Obituary in Early Music, November 1990