|Sufism and Tariqa|
Robert Frager, PhD, is a Harvard-trained social psychologist. He is the founder of the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, now called Sofia University (California) in Palo Alto, California, where he is Director of the low residency Master of Arts in Spiritual Guidance program and professor of Psychology. Frager is the past president of the Association for Transpersonal Psychology.
Early life and education
Frager attended Reed College in Portland, Oregon from 1957 to 1961. He graduated with a B.A. in Psychology. Frager earned a PhD in Social Psychology from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which he attended from 1961 to 1967. From 1963 to 1965, Frager was a Fellow at the East-West Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. From 1967 to 1968, he was a Research Fellow at Keio University in Tokyo, Japan.
Frager is renowned for his pioneering work in the field of transpersonal psychology and for his role in establishing the country's first educational institution dedicated to this emerging field of research and practice. He also teaches courses in Spiritual Psychology and The Wisdom of Islam at the online University of Philosophical Research and also in the online MA program of the Holmes Institute Graduate School of Consciousness Studies.
- Motivation and Personality (1986, supervising editor)
- Love Is the Wine: Talks of a Sufi Master in America (1987, editor)
- Personality and Personal Growth (1993 onwards)
- Who Am I?: Personality Types for Self-Discovery (1994)
- Essential Sufism, an anthology of Sufi teaching materials (1997)
- Heart, Self and Soul: The Sufi Psychology of Growth, Balance, and Harmony (1999)
- The Wisdom of Islam: A Practical Guide to the Wisdom of Islamic Belief (2002)
Born to a Jewish family, Frager embraced Islam in 1981.  He is also a Sufi teacher, or sheikh, in the Halveti-Jerrahi Order, in which he was initiated by Muzaffer Ozak. Frager goes by the name Sheikh Ragip al-Jerrahi and leads a dergah (Sufi community) in Redwood City, California. Sensei Frager practices Aikido, a spiritual Japanese martial art.
- Staff. "Who is Robert Frager?". Integral Institute. Retrieved 2009-06-02.
- Hamilton, Craig (September 2006). "The Man with Two Heads". EnlightenNext Magazine. Retrieved 2009-06-02. A reprint from Issue 34, September to December 2006.