Rome Viterbo Airport
|Rome Viterbo Airport
Viterbo Air Force Base
|IATA: (VTR Proposed) – ICAO: LIRV|
|Airport type||Joint (Civil and Military)|
|Elevation AMSL||987 ft / 303 m|
Rome Viterbo Airport (Italian: Aeroporto di Roma-Viterbo (ICAO: LIRV) is a proposed re-use of Viterbo Air Force Base, a civilian, commercial and military airport about 80 kilometers north of Rome, Italy.
On November 26, 2007, Italian transport minister Alessandro Bianchi announced that Viterbo had been chosen by the Italian Ministry of Transport as the site of the next Airport to serve Rome, alongside Leonardo da Vinci Airport, and Rome Ciampino Airport. It was chosen over alternative sites in Latina, Frosinone, and Guidonia. However, these plans have since been abandoned.
In October, 2008, proposed operator, Aeroporti di Roma (ADR), signed a concession agreement with Italy's civil aviation authority, Ente Nazionale per l'Aviazione Civile (ENAC), under which ADR will prepare
- a technical-operational feasibility study for Viterbo Airport, examining aviation and traffic issues as well as the situation of the major airport sub-systems and defining the size of the airport area;
- a preliminary environmental report on any significant impact of Viterbo airport works, to start the consultation provided for under Law Decree n. 152 dated 3 April 2006 and subsequent supplements and amendments;
- a study of Ciampino Airport environmental capacity, in order to develop an economically sustainable reduced traffic model, to be mandatorily adopted for the future, being capable to fulfil the territory environmental requirements;
- the airport Master Plan, envisaging the reduction of operations at Ciampino airport concurrently with the start of the new operations at Viterbo airport, accompanied by the relevant Environmental Impact Study. An adequate policy will also be requested for the commercial value increase of non-aviation activities both inside and outside the airport area, together with the definition of a transport infrastructure system suitable to support the traffic flow generated by the construction of the new airport;
- the economic-financial plan, to reliably support the works implementation programme, together with cost estimate and financial coverage, identifying own financial resources and any external financing means;
- Ciampino Airport infrastructure adaptation plan, by re-planning the activities as required to ensure time consistency with the opening and operation of Viterbo airport
In October, 2008, the government of the Lazio region presented a plan improve Viterbo to Rome rail connections to offer a 70-minute travel time, and operate a train every 15 minutes. The government stated that the service will be operated with new 10 trainsets.
- Viterbo, Italy, IT, Airport Great Circle Mapper
- Picasa Web Album for Aeroporto Viterbo
- Airport VITERBO
- La fondazione dell'Aeroporto di Viterbo
- Viterbo gets Rome's third airport., Rome transport news
- "ENAC-ADR Signed Memorandum of Understanding Relating to Viterbo Airport Operation Concession" (Press release). Aeroporti di Roma. 2008-10-09. Retrieved 2008-10-14. "ENAC and ADR – Aeroporti di Roma – signed today the Memorandum of Understanding relating to the preliminary activities to be implemented in relation to Viterbo airport operation concession. The protocol, signed by ENAC President Vito Riggio and by ADR Chairman Fabrizio Palenzona, defines the preliminary phases required for the new airport project."
- "Rome-Viterbo airport: reduced travelling times". Avionews. 2008-10-09. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- http://worldaerodata.com/wad.cgi?id=IT93136 World Aero Data: VITERBO -- LIRV
- Airport information for LIRV at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.