Ronald Greer (Stargate)
Jamil Walker Smith as Ronald Greer
|Portrayed by||Jamil Walker Smith|
|Occupation||United States Marine Corps
|Family||Reginald Greer (father)
Angela Greer (mother)
Master Sergeant Ronald Greer, USMC is a fictional character from the science fiction television series Stargate Universe, the third live-action series from the Stargate franchise centering on a group of 80 soldiers and civilians trapped on the Ancient vessel Destiny. He is portrayed by Jamil Walker Smith. Greer holds the rank of Master Sergeant and is described as "big, strong, silent".
Greer is brought up by his loving mother Angela Greer and abusive father Reginald Greer. Greer's father deprived him of food, physically abused both his wife and Ronald and would lock him away in a cupboard, making Greer claustrophobic in later life. Ronald enlists in the United States Marine Corps after failing to get the scholarship he was seeking. He eventually is incorporated into the Stargate Program at the rank of Master Sergeant, serving at Icarus Base. He is shown to be quick to anger, which Rush assumes is the result of having come from a poor background. Before the base attack that led to the evacuation to Destiny, he was imprisoned and awaiting court martial for assaulting Colonel Telford in front of a staff meeting at Icarus base prior to the attack. Greer's commanding officer, Everett Young, releases him after the base falls under attack, telling him to consider the charges against him dropped.
On board the Destiny, he works side-by-side with Matthew Scott, who was put in charge after Colonel Young was injured, following the attack on Icarus Base. On the first mission to retrieve a needed mineral off-world, Nicholas Rush reveals that Greer was not on his list for Icarus Base personnel.
In early casting documents, Greer was named Ron "Psycho" Stasiak. Before working on Stargate Universe, Jamil was best known for his vocal portrayal of Gerald in the Nickelodeon animated series Hey Arnold!. Prior to auditioning he was not a fan of the show; however, he did know about the Stargate franchise.
In an interview with Sky 1 'Stargate-superfan' Nidai, Jamil stated that he went into the audition 'not wanting the part', on the belief that if he didn't want it, he would end up getting it, due to previous experiences. Jamil described his character as a 'hard nut' and a 'tough guy', but saying underneath his character was a teddy bear. In interview for MGM's Stargate Universe Character biography's, Jamil mentioned that his character's personal traits are all things that he himself wants to develop in his own life: "...he is disciplined, he is willing to die for something bigger than himself, he understands the power of being part of a team and leaving his ego at the door."
Maureen Ryan of Chicago Tribune criticized the character portrayed by Jamil Walker Smith: "perhaps the intention was to have Master Sergeant Ronald Greer come off as a rebellious yet courageous hothead but the character is just a one-dimensional, obnoxious idiot". Brian J. Smith (who portrays the character of Matthew Scott) from the series called Jamil's Greer his favorite on the series; likewise, Jamil stated his favorite character was that of Scott. The character is compared to Eric Bana's character "Hoot" in Black Hawk Down. Kevin Cole of Fused Film was very positive of Jamil's contribution to SGU: "He is a cowboy that will bring a lot of interesting development throughout the series. Walker really makes him work with casual smiles and little subtleties and nuances that this guy should have."
- "Lou Diamond Phillips, Ming-Na join Stargate Universe cast". scifiwire.com. February 25, 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-26.
- Ronn Schmidt. "Lost". Stargate Universe. Season 1. Episode 15. Syfy. Unknown parameter
- Andy Mikita. "Air". Stargate Universe. Season 1. Episode 1-3. Syfy. Unknown parameter
- Andy Mikita. "Light". Stargate Universe. Season 1. Episode 5. Syfy. Unknown parameter
- Sumner, Darren (September 17, 2008). "Meet the Stargate Universe team!". GateWorld. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- "Gerald Martin Johanssen (Character) from "Hey Arnold!" (1996)". IMDB. Retrieved 2009-10-11.
- "Stargate Universe: Jamil Walker Smith Interview". Sky TV. October 3, 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-11.
- "Jamil Walker Smith as Ronald Greer". Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer. June 11, 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-11.
- "Desperate survivors get lost in 'Stargate Universe'". Chicago Tribune. October 1, 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-26.
- TV Review: Stargate Universe: Air fusedfilm.com, September 21, 2009