Ronnie Watt Special Kata Course in Aberdeen, November 2010
|Born||Ronald Stewart Watt
April 16, 1947
|Teacher(s)||Masatoshi Nakayama, Keinosuke Enoeda, Hiroshi Shirai, Taiji Kase|
|Rank||8th Dan karate (WKC)|
Ronald Stewart "Ronnie" Watt OBE is a Scottish master of Shotokan karate. He is the founder, president and chief instructor for the “National Karate Institute Scotland” a member of the World Karate Confederation (WKC).
Watt was born on April 16, 1947 in Aberdeen. He started learning karate in 1965, following a serious industrial accident which very nearly left him disabled. His interest in karate was inspired by the character Oddjob in the James Bond film Gold Finger.
In his 45 year career as a professional karate instructor, Watt has trained over 20,000 students.
On 25 May 2010, on behalf of the Emperor of Japan and the Japanese government, the Japanese Consulate General in Edinburgh, Mr Masataka Tarahara, presented Ronnie Watt with the Order of the Rising Sun with Gold and Silver rays. This was in recognition of Mr Watt’s outstanding contribution to karate and his commitment to strengthening the relationship between Scotland and Japan. Ronnie Watt is one of only a handful of Scots in history to be awarded this high honour.
Watt has been awarded the following dan gradings: 1st - 1969; 2nd - 1972; 3rd - 1976; 4th - 1981; 5th - 1986; 6th - 1994; 7th - 1997.
His current rank is 8th dan which he was awarded in April 2005. The examiners for this grading were Dr Fritz Wendland (founding President of the WKC), Marko Nicovic (7th Dan Wado Ryu of the United Nations), Tomi Ochi (6th Dan Shotokan, Japan) Joe Mirza (8th Dan Shito Ryu, USA), Ladislav Klementis (8th Dan Gojo Ryu, Okinawa, Slovakia), Ilya Gouliev (7th Dan Shotokan, JKA Russia), Dave Friend (7th Dan Shotokan, South Africa)
2003 WKC Director of Shotokan Karate
2005 8th Dan Kyoshi, International Shotokan-Ryu Karate -Do Shihankai
2006 Accepted Fellowship to International Shotokan-Ryu Karate- Do, Shihankai
2010 Awarded Order of the Rising Sun with Gold and Silver Rays
2010 8th Dan Hanshi, International Shotokan-Ryu Karate -Do Shihankai 
- Ronnie Watt, 8th Dan : Director of Shotokan of the World Karate Confederation. Dr Clive Layton, 2009 ISBN 978-0-9562602-0-8
- Aberdeen Press and Journal; 8 Nov 2009
- Scottish Parliament Motion S3M-4499; 25 June 2009
- Scotsman Newspaper; 2 May 2010
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan: Spring 2010 Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals 
- Karate Scotland
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2010.
- World Karate Confederation
- International Shotokan-Ryu Karate -Do Shihankai
- Webpage NKI Scotland
- Webpage 2010 Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan: Spring Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals