The SANS Institute is a private U.S. company that specializes in internet security training. It was founded in 1989 and provides computer security training, professional certification through Global Information Assurance Certification (GIAC), and a research archive - the SANS Reading Room. It also operates the Internet Storm Center, an Internet monitoring system staffed by a global community of security practitioners. The trade name SANS (deriving from SysAdmin, Audit, Networking, and Security) belongs to the for-profit Escal Institute of Advanced Technologies.
When originally organized in 1989, SANS Conferences functioned like traditional technical conferences showcasing technical presentations. By the mid-1990s, SANS evolved into a more commercial format offering events which combined training with tradeshows and vendor-oriented marketing. As of 2008[update] SANS offers computer and internet security courses in a variety of formats including a virtual classroom (SANS vLive), online training and assessments (SANS OnDemand) and live training via Community SANS, a Local Mentor Program, and the original Conference format. Free webcasts and email newsletters (@Risk, Newsbites, Ouch!) have been developed in conjunction with security vendors. The actual content behind SANS training courses and training events remain "vendor-agnostic." Vendors cannot pay to offer their own official SANS course, although they can teach a SANS "hosted" event via sponsorship.
Certifications related to SANS training courses are offered by SANS-operated GIAC.
SANS Technology Institute
As of 2008[update] SANS has branched out into the SANS Technology Institute (STI), a degree-granting educational organization based on SANS training. On November 21, 2013, SANS Technology Institute was granted full regional accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
SANS Technology Institute focuses exclusively on cybersecurity, with degree programs built on GIAC industry certifications. SANS Technology Institute offers Master of Science degree programs in Information Security Engineering (ISE) and Information Security Management (ISM). SANS Technology Institute also holds a partnership with Excelsior College, whereby admissions candidates who are lacking an undergraduate degree can complete a Bachelor's degree prior to admission at a discounted tuition rate, with options for earning credit through alternative means such as credit for certifications and training, credit by examination, and distance learning.
SANS instructors have contributed to many security-oriented books, such as:
- Geekonomics: The Real Cost of Insecure Software (ISBN 978-0321477897)
- Blogging for Business (ISBN 978-1419536458)
- Hackers Beware: The Ultimate Guide to Network Security (ISBN 0-7357-1009-0)
- Hiding in Plain Sight : Steganography and the Art of Covert Communication (ISBN 0-471-44449-9)
- Inside Network Perimeter Security: The Definitive Guide to Firewalls, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), Routers, and Intrusion Detection Systems (ISBN 0-7357-1232-8)
- IT Ethics Handbook (ISBN 1931836140)
- Linksys WRT54G Ultimate Hacking (ISBN 978-1597491662)
- Malware: Fighting Malicious Code (ISBN 0-13-101405-6)
- Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-by-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses (2nd Edition) (ISBN 0-13-148104-5)
- Know Your Enemy: Learning about Security Threats (2nd Edition) (ISBN 978-0321166463)
- Network Intrusion Detection (ISBN 0-7357-1265-4)
- Network Intrusion Detection: An Analyst's Handbook (ISBN 0-7357-1008-2)
- Snort Intrusion Detection and Prevention Toolkit (ISBN 978-1597490993)
- Demopoulos, Ted (2007). What no one ever tells you about-- blogging and podcasting : real-life advice from 101 people who successfully leverage the power of the blogosphere. Chicago, IL: Kaplan. ISBN 978-1-4195-8435-0.
- Computer security
- Information security
- Information Security Forum
- Internet Storm Center
- Information security management system (ISMS)
- IT risk
- "What is the SANS Institute?". SANS Frequently Asked Questions (faq): Security Training: General. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- http://www.sans.org/about/sans.php: About SANS
- SANS Technology Institute. "Accreditation".
- SANS Technology Institute. "Academic Options at STI".
- SANS Technology Institute. "Degree Completion".