Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Beth B|
|Produced by||Beth B|
|Written by||Beth B
|Music by||New Order|
|Editing by||Elizabeth Kling|
|Distributed by||Circle Films|
|Running time||80 min|
Salvation! (also known as Salvation!: Have You Said Your Prayers Today?) is a 1987 film by Beth B, starring Viggo Mortensen, Exene Cervenka and Stephen McHattie. The film is a parody of televangelism released right after the real-life Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart scandals.
The film tagline was "SEX. POWER. MONEY. All in the name of God."
McHattie plays Reverend Randall, a Staten Island-based televangelist who has been bilking his flock and secretly watches pornography while he is rehearsing his sermons in his stately home. Cervenka plays Rhonda Stample, a born again Christian. After Rhonda's non-believer husband, Jerome (Viggo Mortensen), loses his factory job, he and two cousins enlist Rhonda in a plot to entrap Rev. Randall in a sex scandal and blackmail him.
|Salvation!: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack|
|Soundtrack album by Various artists|
|Genre||Modern rock, alternative rock, post-punk, electronic|
|Label||Factory Benelux/Les Disques du Crépuscule TWI-774
Factory Australasia FACT-182
- New Order: "Salvation Theme"
- Jumpin' Jesus (Arthur Baker and Stuart Kimball, vocals by Stephen McHattie): "You Can't Blackmail Jesus"
- Cabaret Voltaire: "Twanky Party"
- New Order: "Touched by the Hand of God"
- Dominique* (Dominique Davalos): "Play The Beat"
- The Hood: "Nightmare"
- New Order: "Let's Go"
- The Hood: "Salvation! Have You Said Your Prayers Today"
- Arthur Baker: "Come On"
- New Order: "Sputnik"
- Cabaret Voltaire: "Jesus Saves"
- New Order: "Skullcrusher"
- Dominique*: "Destroy All Evil"
Exene Cervenka and Viggo Mortensen met on the film's set in 1986, and they married on July 8, 1987. On January 28, 1988, Cervenka gave birth to her only child, Henry Blake Mortensen. Mortensen and Cervenka separated in 1992, and were divorced in 1997.