Saxon Shore (band)
|Origin||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Labels||Burnt Toast Vinyl (2003-Present)
Broken Factory Records (2001-2002)
|Associated acts||Warm Ghost
|Past members||Josh Tillman
Saxon Shore is an American post-rock band consisting of members from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Brooklyn, New York. The group has thus far released five albums: one packaged as an EP (Luck Will Not Save Us...) and four as full-lengths. Earlier records featured only five to seven songs, while more recent albums have had several more.
Saxon Shore formed in 2001 as the joint project of guitarist Matthew Doty and drummer Josh Tillman. The two wrote several songs that, in time, were recorded for the duo's debut album Be a Bright Blue, released on Doty's own imprint, Broken Factory Records. Tillman's brother Zach was recruited for bass duties during the studio process and found himself becoming a full-fledged member.
After a host of tours across the United States (in which the band recruited three separate bassists), Doty moved to Seattle and later exchanged four-tracks with Josh Tillman, who was living in upstate New York at the time. Studio time reserved in Atlanta eventually blossomed into their next effort, Four Months of Darkness. Traveling musician Matt Stone contributing on guitar and like Zach before him, joined, making the group a four-piece. The album marked a change in Saxon Shore's sound from the light indie pop of Be a Bright Blue to the more melodic Four Months.
- Matt Doty – Electric guitar, keyboards, programming, rhodes, piano
- Oliver Chapoy – Guitar, piano, rhodes, synths, programming, celeste
- Stephen Roessner – drums, vibraphone, rhodes, percussion
- Will Stichter – Bass guitar
- Josh Tillman – Drums (2001–2004)
- Zach Tillman – Bass guitar (2002–2004)
- Matt Stone – Electric guitar, keyboards (2003)
- Justin Saxby – Bass guitar (summer 2003)
- Bethany Olson – Keyboards (winter 2003)
- Joel Votaw – Bass guitar (spring-summer 2003)
- Erin Berkey – Keyboards, bells (summer 2002)
- Jesse Pierce – Bass guitar (winter 2002)
- 2002: Be a Bright Blue – LP (Broken Factory Records)
- 2003: Four Months of Darkness – LP (Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2005: Be a Bright Blue (Digipak re-release) – LP(Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2005: Luck Will Not Save Us From a Jackpot of Nothing – EP (Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2005: The Exquisite Death of Saxon Shore – LP (Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2009: It Doesn't Matter – LP (Broken Factory Records/& Records)
Stone and Stichter, together with Will's brother Mike and friend Stephen Hoffmann, have released two ambient/downtempo albums on Burnt Toast Vinyl under the name of Soporus. Doty and Chapoy are currently making plans to put out music as Brightest Feathers, having already remixed songs by Caroline and Faunts. Chapoy is also a member of Warm Ghost  Lastly, drummer Roessner is a freelance Grammy winning recording engineer  based in Rochester, New York where he operates a small studio called Calibrated Recording. Roessner is also a member of the chiptune band Revengineers, based in Rochester, NY.
- "Tweleven" was used in episode two of HBO's popular boxing series, 24/7: Mayweather-Marquez