SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union
|Headquarters||Santa Ana, California, United States|
|Number of locations||41|
|Area served||Educators and family Members in Southern California|
|Key people||Rudy Hanley, President|
|Products||Savings; Checking; Consumer loans; Mortgages; Credit cards; Investments; Online Banking|
|Total assets||$9.38B USD (2012)|
SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union is a federally chartered Credit Union that serves the educational community in Southern California. It is headquartered in Santa Ana, California and has branches throughout the ten most southern counties of California. Before April 14, 2008, it was named Orange County Teachers Federal Credit Union, or OCTFCU.
SchoolsFirst FCU was founded in 1934 by a group of 125 school employees. They pooled $1,200 and established Orange County Teachers Credit Union with a California state charter. A switch to a federal charter in 1983 added Federal to its name.
At the end of 2012, SchoolsFirst FCU reported $9.38 billion in assets, making it the fifth-largest credit union in the United States by asset size. Net income for that year was $129.72 million, and total capital $1.14 billion. Their 11.96% capital to asset ratio is one of the best in the U.S. banking industry. They reported having 536,064 members at the end of 2012.
Field of Membership
SchoolsFirst FCU's field of Membership is the following Southern California counties:
- Imperial County
- Kern County
- Los Angeles County
- Orange County
- Riverside County
- San Bernardino County
- San Diego County
- San Luis Obispo County
- Santa Barbara County
- Ventura County
Within those counties, SchoolsFirst FCU serves employees of the following educational entities (serving both classified and certificated employees):
- Public elementary and secondary schools that are listed as a private school in the California Department of Education School Directory
- County superintendents of schools
- Community colleges
- Authorized colleges and universities that offer degree programs
- Authorized education foundations
In addition, SchoolsFirst FCU serves the following:
- Members of the boards of trustees of eligible schools
- Educators who have retired from one of the above eligible educational entities, who are receiving a pension or annuity from that entity’s retirement program, such as CalSTRS or CalPERS
- Immediate family members of any existing SchoolsFirst member (spouse, mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, grandparent, grandchild)
In 2004, Orange County Teachers FCU was named the third best medium-sized company to work for in the country by the Great Place to Work Institute, Inc., a workplace research and consulting firm in San Francisco. Each year the Institute works with Fortune Magazine and other publications throughout the world to select "Best Companies to Work For" lists that appear in 25 different countries, including the "100 Best Companies to Work for" in America.
Three years later, in 2007, Orange County Teachers FCU appeared in the same list, placing tenth.
- http://annual.schoolsfirstfcu.org SchoolsFirst FCU 2012 Annual Report
- www.schoolsfirstfcu.org — SchoolsFirst FCU home page
-  — SchoolsFirst FCU 2012 Annual Report
- Financial Data from NCUA — NCUA Financial data for SchoolsFirst FCU
- OCTFCU - Top Stories — OCTFCU is becoming SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union (SchoolsFirst FCU)
-  — Great Place to Work Institute, Inc. (Best Small and Medium Companies to Work for in America 2007)