Scott Powell was born in Dallas, Texas, on August 13, 1948. He was a founding member of Sha Na Na, which began at Columbia University in 1969, under the name The Kingsmen. The group's name was later changed to avoid confusion with another band of the same name.
Powell performed with Sha Na Na at the Woodstock Festival and in Japan and Europe. He was known as Santini on the Sha Na Na television series, which aired from 1977 to 1981. He sang many Elvis Presley songs on the show. He was also in the movie Grease with Sha Na Na, singing lead on the song Hound Dog. When Powell left the group in 1981, he went back to Columbia and took premedical courses, and continued on to pursue a successful career as an Orthopedic Surgeon.
- Hotchkiss School
- Columbia College of Columbia University
- New York University
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center
- NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic in Los Angeles
As of August 2007, Powell is a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon, and with partner Bill Stetson, founded Stetson Powell Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, which has two locations in California. He provides such services as tennis elbow release, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair and total shoulder replacement.
He serves in many capacities in the medical field, including being active in the Arthroscopy Association of North America, the American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine, and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
Powell is Team Physician for the United States Soccer Federation Women’s National Team, and is on the medical staffs of both the U.S. Soccer National Team and the United States Olympic Committee, and on the Board of Directors of United Cerebral Palsy. He is also Associate Clinical Professor at the USC Keck School of Medicine.
Powell is married to Cynthia Boxrud, M.D., who is an Oculoplastic and Reconstructive surgeon. Together, they developed and patented an "Anti-Wrinkle Pillow", which was designed to reduce wrinkles around the eyes while sleeping, by supporting the neck.
- 1970 – Woodstock – as himself with Sha Na Na
- 1972 – Dynamite Chicken – as himself with Sha Na Na
- 1978 – Grease – with Sha Na Na as Johnny Casino and The Gamblers
- 1980 – Caddyshack – Gatsby
- 1994 – Woodstock Diary – as himself with Sha Na Na
- 2003 – Festival Express – as himself with Sha Na Na