Secure Network Communications
Secure Network Communications (SNC) is a software layer in the SAP Netweaver system architecture that enables the use of stronger authentication, encryption and single sign-on mechanism. SAP provides SNC for server to server communications only. Third party vendors provide SNC technology for client access, however.
SAP systems include basic security measures, which include the SAP authorization concept and user authentication based on passwords. With SNC, SAP customers can extend SAP system security beyond these basic measures to include the additional protection offered by stronger authentication methods, by encryption and by single sign-on. This tool is available for Windows and *UX Operating Systems.
SNC can be very useful for remote connections with SAP servers.
Advantages of SNC
- SNC provides application-level, end-to-end security
- SNC secures all communications between two SNC-protected components (e.g., SAPGUI and an SAP application server)
- You can implement additional security features that the SAP system does not directly provide (e.g., single sign-on or the use of strong authentication measures)
- Can use Pluggable Authentication Service to enable SNC functionality
- SAP NetWeaver
- Single sign-on
- Pluggable Authentication Service
- List of single sign-on implementations