Sendhil Ramamurthy, 2008
May 17, 1974 |
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
Sendhil Ramamurthy (born May 17, 1974) is an American actor. He is best known for his roles as geneticist Mohinder Suresh in the NBC Sci-Fi drama Heroes and Jai Wilcox in the Action Spy series Covert Affairs. He appeared in the film Shor in the City. He is currently portraying the role of Gabriel Lowen in The CW sci-fi romance series Beauty & the Beast.
Ramamurthy was born in Chicago to a Kannadiga Indian father and a Tamil Indian mother who had emigrated from India. He grew up speaking English and Kannada. His parents are physicians. He has one sister who is also a physician. He and his sister were raised in San Antonio. There, he went to Keystone School and graduated in 1991. He is the cousin of comedian and film director Jay Chandrasekhar. Ramamurthy is married to actress Olga Sosnovska and the couple have two children, daughter Halina and son Alex.
Ramamurthy attended Tufts University initially as a pre-med major to follow in his parents' footsteps. He was also a member of the Kappa Charge of Theta Delta Chi. He became interested in acting when he took an "Intro to Acting" class during his junior year as part of his graduation requirement. After participating in several plays — including Our Country's Good, he chose to change career goals. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in history and then attended the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art in London, from which he graduated in 1999.
Ramamurthy has appeared in theatrical productions of A Servant of Two Masters in London's West End, Indian Ink at the Soho Repertory Theatre, and East Is East at the Manhattan Theatre Club. His film credits include Love & Debate (originally titled Thanks to Gravity), Orient Express, Blind Dating, Little India, Shor in the City and Gurinder Chadha's comedy film It's a Wonderful Afterlife. In addition, he has appeared on several TV shows, including Ellen, Casualty, Guiding Light, Grey's Anatomy, Ultimate Force, CSI: Miami, Heroes, Covert Affairs and Numb3rs.
He made a conscious decision to not audition for stereotypical Indian roles, although he has been offered such parts. Ramamurthy's role on Heroes was his biggest to date. Although the character of Mohinder Suresh was originally written for a 55-year-old, his audition tape and screen test were convincing enough for writers to rewrite the part for Ramamurthy. Ramamurthy starred in all four seasons of Heroes, although his appearance in the final season was limited; had the series been recommissioned for a fifth season, he would not have returned for it.
Ramamurthy joined the cast of the USA Network show Covert Affairs as Jai Wilcox from the second episode onward, replacing character Conrad Sheehan III, played by Eric Lively in the pilot. The show premiered in July 2010. His character was written out of the show in the premiere of season 3.
- In the Beginning (2000) – Adam
- Blind Dating (2006) - Arvind
- The Slammin' Salmon (2009) – Marlon Specter
- It's a Wonderful Afterlife (2010) – D S Raj Murthy
- Shor in the City (2011) – Abhay
- "The Lifeguard" (2013) - Raj
- Ultimate Force (2002) – Corporal Alex Leonard
- Grey's Anatomy (2004) - Unnammed in Pilot Episode
- Numb3rs (2005) - DOE Specialist (episode: "Dirty Bomb")
- Heroes (2006–2010) – Mohinder Suresh
- Psych (2009) – Rajesh
- Covert Affairs (2010–2012) – Jai Wilcox
- CSI: Miami (2012–2013) – Raj Andari
- The Office (2012–2013) – Ravi
- Beauty & the Beast (2013–present) – Gabriel Lowen
- "Sendhil Ramamurthy has exactly 15 Hindi words in Ekta Kapoor's Shor". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- Joshi, Tushar (2010-04-27). "Sendhil wants Deepika to watch his film". Mid-day.com. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- "An American Hero comes knocking – Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 2010-01-21. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Mangla, Ismat Sarah (2006-09-25). "Holding Out for a Hero". Nirali magazine. Retrieved 2007-01-07.
- Etkin-Ives, Sharla (2007-01-01). "Sendhil Ramamurthy". Zap2it. Retrieved 2007-01-07.[dead link]
- "Sendhil Ramamurthy of 'Heroes' fame to make his Bollywood debut with Shor | Bollywood.com : Entertainment news, movie, music and fashion reviews". Bollywood.com. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- "Mohinder Suresh". NBC. Archived from bios/mohinder.shtml the original on 2007-01-03. Retrieved 2007-01-07.
- Maloney, Alison (2006-12-30). "Sendhil's a sci-fi Hero". The Sun Online (London). Retrieved 2007-01-07.
- Godwin, Jennifer (2009-06-15). "Exclusive: Heroes Star Sendhil Ramamurthy to Guest on Psych". E! Online – Watch with Kristin. Retrieved 2009-06-15.[dead link]
- Stanley, Alessandra (2010-07-13). "Cold War-Style Spying Is Back (How Quaint)". The New York Times.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2010-10-13). "'Heroes' actor cast in new USA series". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Sandra Gonzalez (July 11, 2011). "Covert Affairs season premiere: bosses sound off on shocking death". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- Megan Masters (February 6, 2012). "Office scoop:Kelly Kapoor's new boy toy is...". TVLine.com. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- Matt Webb Mitovich (December 19, 2012). "Scoop: Sendhil Ramamurthy joins Beauty and the Beast as 'great antagonist' for Vincent/Catherine". TVLine.com. Retrieved February 5, 2013.