Setanta Sports 1 & 2
|Setanta Sports 1|
|Owned by||Setanta Sports|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Sister channel(s)||Setanta Ireland|
|Sky||Channel 424 (ROI & NI)|
|UPC Ireland||Channel 406
Channel 436 (HD)
Setanta Sports 1 is a subscription based sports channel in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland under a new licensing agreement between the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland and the newly formed company Setanta Sports Channel Ireland Ltd replacing Setanta Sports Ireland Ltd.
- Setanta Sports 1 was launched in 2004 by Setanta Sports Ireland Ltd, shortly after Setanta's UK operations (Setanta Sports GB) launched Setanta Sports 2.
- Setanta Sports 1 and Setanta Sports 2 ceased broadcasting in Great Britain on 23 June 2009
- Setanta Sports 1 continues to air in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, though Setanta Sports 2 has since ceased operating.
- On 27 July 2009 under a new licensing agreement between the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland and the newly formed company Setanta Sports Channel Ireland Ltd replacing Setanta Sports Ireland Ltd. Setanta Sports Ireland and Setanta Sports 1 continue to be offered to audiences in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
In July 2009 the ownership structure of Setanta Sports Channel Ireland Limited (previously Setanta Sports Ireland Ltd) changed. Setanta Sports Channel Ireland Limited is co-owned by Gaiety Investments (60% share) with the remaining 40% share made up by Sabloss Limited. The main shareholders in Sabloss are Michael O’Rourke, Leonard Ryan and Mark O’Meara. Sabloss has also purchased 100% of the shares in Setanta Sports North America Limited. Both Setanta Sports Channel Ireland Limited and Setanta Sports North America Limited are licensed by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland.
Most of these air on both Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1 and are shared between the two channels. In some instances (largely football coverage) Setanta only possess Republic of Ireland rights, during such programming the channel is unavailable in Northern Ireland. Conversely, live coverage of GAA Championship matches is available only in Northern Ireland and not the Republic.
- UEFA Champions League
- UEFA Europa League
- Premier League (Saturday 3pm matches only, and only in the Republic of Ireland)
- FA Cup (Republic of Ireland only)
- League of Ireland
- Setanta Sports Cup
- Friendly matches, typically on a once-off basis
Gaelic Athletic Association
- GAA Football National League
- GAA Hurling National League
- All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Live coverage in Northern Ireland, Deferred (not same day) in the Republic of Ireland)
- All-Ireland Senior Football Championship (Live coverage in Northern Ireland, Deferred (not same day) in the Republic of Ireland)
- IRB Rugby World Cup
- Magners League (Deferred/highlights only from September 2010 onwards)
- Top 14 Orange
- Exclusive rights to the highlights of the RBS 6 Nations
- Certain international rugby union Test games on a one-off basis
- IRB Sevens
Setanta's major in-house programme is The Sports Show (formerly The Hub) which airs daily. It also simulcasts the radio show Off The Ball from Newstalk.
Setanta Sports Cup
Setanta Sports 1 is available in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland on Sky. Additionally, it is available in the Republic of Ireland on UPC Ireland, Magnet Networks, Smartvision, SCTV Digital and Homevision.
Setanta Sports 1 was previously available on all major UK digital television platforms including Sky, Virgin Media and BT Vision.
- On digital terrestrial television, Setanta Sports 1 was available as a standalone subscription channel, available to viewers with a compatible Freeview receiver. This included set-top boxes with a card slot, and IDTVs with a CAM. The channel broadcast between 12:00 and 03:00
- BT Vision offered the version of Setanta Sports 1 carried on DTT as part of the BT Vision Sport package, which combines the channel with a broadband on-demand highlights service
- The entire Setanta Sports family of channels was available via satellite on Sky
- Virgin Media offered the entire Setanta Sports family of channels bar AH TV, Arsenal Replay and Setanta Commercial. Channels were available either as a part of the XL pack or as a separate subscription package
- BCI approves ownership changes at Setanta and signs 2 new Content Contracts Broadcasting Commission of Ireland, 28 July 2009
- Setanta goes off air in Great Britain Digital Spy, 23 June 2009