|Industry||Internet marriage arrangement|
Shaadi.com is the world’s largest matrimonial website. It was founded by Anupam Mittal in 1996 and claims to have over 3.2 million matches as of 2013 in the online matrimonial market. This matrimonial site permits individuals to post their profiles and responses including horoscope, caste, language and religion. According to Mr.Mittal, in 2000 nearly 30% of the site members were from the Indian diaspora.
Shaadi.com was a recipient of the ‘Best Designed Matrimonial Website’ award given by the PC World Web Awards in 2007 and 2008 and in September 2007 Business Today cited the company as one of the Top 10 Marketers in India. In 2009 it collaborated with Star Plus to produce India’s first reality matrimonial TV show. In 2011, Shaadi.com was ranked amongst the world’s 50 Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company. In 2012, Best Use of Internet for Social & Economic Development for Shaadi.com’s Angry Brides Campaign at the Indian Digital Award by Internet & Mobile Association of India (IAMAI). Best eCommerce site by Indian Digital Media Awards in 2012. Shaadi.com, the only non agency to be awarded the Best Social Media Campaign – Social Cause site at the Indian Digital Media Awards 2013. Shaadi.com is extremely well advertised and regularly appear in adverts on websites such as Yahoo!.
Shaadi.com pioneered online matrimonials when it launched in 1996 and continues to lead the category for more than 17 years. The company claims that the service has touched the lives of over 30 million people globally and has helped over 3.2 million people find their matches.
In the offline space, Shaadi.com extends its services to parents and members through Shaadi Centers — a network of retail outlets across India that offers matrimonial related services, from matchmaking to wedding planning. Launched in 2004, Shaadi Center, today has become the world’s largest chain of matrimonial service centers and is present in India with over 100 centers across 87 cities.
- 1996 Matrimonial portal launched under the name of Sagaai.com
- 2002 Sagaai.com is renamed as Shaadi.com. ShaadiTimes is launched as a wedding portal
- 2004 First Shaadi Centre opens in Mumbai
- 2006 People Group, the parent company of Shaadi.com, receives VC funding
- 2008 Shaadi.com expands its global footprint by opening offices in US and UK
- 2010 Shaadi.com ranked as the No. 1 matrimonial brand in the "Most Trusted Brands Survey" released by Brand Equity
- 2011 Shaadi.com voted as the Best Matrimonial Website in the 2011 About.com Readers' Choice Awards
- 2012 Shaadi.com launches "Angry Brides," a Facebook game to create awareness and showcase the company’s stand against dowry
- 2013 Only non agency to be awarded the Best Social Media Campaign – Social Cause site at the Indian Digital Media Awards 2013
Shaadi.com has offices in UK, USA, Canada, UAE and in all the major cities in India.
- Best eCommerce site by Indian Digital Media Awards
- Only non agency to be awarded the Best Social Media Campaign – Social Cause site at the Indian Digital Media Awards 2013
- The Best Matrimonial Site by About.com Reader’s Choice
- IT People Awards for Excellence in Information Technology
- India’s Top 10 Marketers – Business Today’s Annual Listing of Best Marketers
- Goyal, Anuradha (2014). The Mouse Charmers - Digital Pioneers of India, Random House India. p. 217. ISBN 978 81 8400 492 2.
- "Shaadi.com Ties Up with Star Plus for India’s First Reality Matrimonial TV Show". News Wire Today. 27 January 2009. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- Paul, Jessie (1 December 2009). No Money Marketing. Tata McGraw-Hill Education. p. 40. ISBN 978-0-07-015270-0. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- Sen, Satrajit. "Arranged marriages over the internet were a laughable idea when Shaadi.com started!". Indian Digital Review. Retrieved 5 Dec 2011.
- 2011-readers-choice-awards-/437443/ "Shaadi.com voted the best Matrimonial Website in the 2011 Reader's Choice Awards". Business Standard. Retrieved Jun 1, 2011.
- "Shaadi.com's accessdate=July 22, 2010".
- "Shaadi.com weds new media to celebrate its 15th birthday". Exchange 4 Media. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Brand Equity Survey: India's top 10 most trusted brands". Economic Times.
- "2011 Readers' Choice Awards: Vote Now!". About.com.