|Owner(s)||Shambhala Sun Foundation|
The Shambhala Sun is an independent, bimonthly magazine (in print and online) that offers a nonsectarian view of 'Buddhism, Culture, Meditation, and Life.' Presented are teachings from the Buddhist and other contemplative traditions, with an emphasis on applying the principles of mindfulness and awareness practices to everyday life. Established in 1995, the magazine is a publication of the independent, nonprofit Shambhala Sun Foundation.
The Sun's editorial blog is a popular destination, called "SunSpace" (www.shambhalasun.com/sunspace) It features daily news, updates, stories, comment and links.
Shambhala Sun has a circulation of 80,000 copies, with a readership of several hundred thousand.
The Shambhala Sun online archive includes a substantial amount of previously published articles and essays free to the public.
In handing out their Alternative Press Awards in 2007, Utne Reader magazine awarded Shambhala Sun for a fourth time, this year for Best Spiritual Coverage. Utne had this to say about the Shambhala Sun:
- "The stated goal of the Shambhala Sun Foundation, which publishes this year’s winner, is to 'promote the growth and development of genuine buddhadharma as Buddhism takes root in the West' and to 'work with and support all those who share the values of wisdom, sacredness, and compassion.' Shambhala Sun, while clearly aligned with the nonprofit’s specific take on this brand of spirituality, stands out not so much as a doctrinaire instructional manual (there are other publications better geared for that task) as it does a user-friendly guide for culturally curious, searching souls. With a focus on health and wellness, and a decidedly gentle approach to the lifelong trial that is personal transformation, the editors tap a surprisingly diverse cast of philosophers, psychologists, educators, and storytellers to breathe life into its lessons, which ultimately boil down to a clearer vision of ourselves, our neighbors, and the world’s beauty and fragility."
- Editor-in-Chief: Melvin McLeod
- Publisher: James Gimian
Recent awards include:
- Utne Reader magazine's Alternative Press award for General Excellence and Spiritual Coverage in 1997, 1999, 2000 and 2007
- Folio magazine’s 2002 Ozzie award for page design
- The 2003 Canadian Newsstand Award for cover design
- The 2005 and 2007 Atlantic Journalism Award for Atlantic magazine Best Cover and Best Article.
- Buddhism in the United States
- Tricycle: The Buddhist Review
- Buddhadharma: The Practitioner's Quarterly