||This article is incomplete. (July 2014)|
Utne Reader, cover from the January–February 2012 issue
|Categories||U.S. politics and public policy|
|Based in||1503 SW 42nd Street
Topeka, KS 66609-1265 U.S
Utne Reader (aka Utne) is a bimonthly American magazine that collects and reprints articles on politics, culture, and the environment, generally from alternative media sources including journals, newsletters, weeklies, zines, music, and DVDs.
The magazine's writers and editors contribute books, film, and music reviews and original articles which tend to focus on emerging cultural trends. The magazine's website produces ten blogs covering politics, environment, media, spirituality, science and technology, great writing, and the arts.
The magazine was founded in 1984 by Eric Utne and Nina Rothschild Utne as the Utne Reader. Eric Utne chaired the magazine until the late 1990s when Rothschild took over.
The cover logo was changed to simply Utne in 2003, continuing until 2006, with the subtitle, A Different Read on Life.
In 2006 the magazine was purchased by Ogden Publications, publishers of Grit, Mother Earth News, Natural Home, and other magazines. The earlier title Utne Reader was brought back, and the magazine refocused on its original mission to reprint "the best of the alternative press".
According to the New York Times, Utne Reader was part of the salon movement of the 1980s, devoted to debate on the issues of the day. Utne Reader was an early source of coverage of the mythopoetic men's movement when it first surfaced in the early 1990s.
Utne Independent Press Awards
Every year, the magazine gives out its Utne Independent Press Awards, which honor alternative and independent magazines from around the world. Past winners include the Wilson Quarterly, In These Times, Virginia Quarterly Review, Mother Jones, Orion, High Country News, Gnosis and New Internationalist.
- Groening, Tom (2006-09-16). "Utne CEO, editor recounts magazine struggles". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved 2007-12-17.[dead link]
- Magazine Agent: Utne
- "Ogden Publications Acquires Utne Magazine" (Press release). 2006-06-02. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- Minnesota Monitor:: Utne Re-Reader: A 'Progressive Brand' Reclaims its Roots - and Name
- Rabinovitz, Jonathan (1992-04-13). "An Attempted Comeback for the Literary Salon". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-03-25.
- The Virtuous Male
- Utne Independent Press Awards
- Winners of the 2010 Utne Independent Press Awards