|12th Lieutenant Governor of Hawaii|
December 27, 2012
|Preceded by||Brian Schatz|
|12th President of the Hawaii Senate|
November 6, 2010 – December 27, 2012
|Preceded by||Colleen Hanabusa|
|Succeeded by||Donna Mercado Kim|
|Member of the Hawaii Senate
5th district (2011-2012)
4th district (2003-2011)
August 9, 1971 |
|Alma mater||University of Hawaii|
Shan S. Tsutsui (born August 9, 1971) is an American politician who has been the 12th Lieutenant Governor of Hawaii since 2012. He was previously a member of the Hawaii Senate from 2003 to 2012, and he served as President of the Senate from 2010 to 2012.
Early life and education
Tsutsui was a member of the Hawaii Senate from 2003 until becoming Lieutenant Governor in 2012. From 2003 to 2011, he represented district 4, which includes Waihee, Wailuku, and Kahului. Subsequently he represented district 5.
Following the death of U.S. Senator Daniel Inouye, Governor Neil Abercrombie appointed Lieutenant Governor Brian Schatz to replace Inouye in the U.S. Senate. As president of the Hawaii Senate, Tsutsui was first in line to replace Schatz as lieutenant governor. If Tsutsui had declined the position of lieutenant governor, Hawaii House Speaker Calvin Say could have accepted the position. Attorney General David M. Louie would have been next in line after Say. Tsutsui accepted the position the following day following consultation with family, Senate leaders, and Governor Abercrombie. The person to fill Tsutsui's Senate seat until 2014 will be selected by Governor Abercrombie from a list of three names submitted by the central committee. Tsutsui's position as Senate president was filled by Senate vice president Donna Mercado Kim until Senate members vote on a new president on the opening day of the 2013 session.
He has three daughters with his wife, Lyndelle.
- "Senator Shan S. Tsutsui". capitol.hawaii.gov. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- Osher, Wendy (December 14, 2012). "House Leadership to be Determined on Opening Day". Maui News.
- "State Senate chooses Donna Kim as new president". Honolulu Star Advertiser. December 28, 2012.
- "Hawaii governor names Democrat, Lt. Gov. Brian Schatz, to succeed Inouye in US Senate". The Washington Post. Associated Press. December 26, 2012.
- "Tsutsui may be affected by choice to fill vacancy". The Maui News. December 21, 2011.
- Tran, Cam (December 27, 2012). "Tsutsui's promotion causes ripple effect: Senate to vote on new president on opening day". KITV.