|Member of the Ohio Senate
from the 7th district
August 11, 2009
|Preceded by||Bob Schuler|
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 67th district
January 2, 2007-August 10, 2009
|Preceded by||Tom Raga|
|Succeeded by||Peter Beck|
May 24, 1970 |
|Alma mater||University of Cincinnati|
Shannon Jones is a Republican member of the Ohio Senate, who has represented the 7th District since 2009. She serves as majority whip. She served in the Ohio House of Representatives from 2007 to 2009.
Early life and career
A graduate of the University of Cincinnati with a Bachelor of Arts in Communications, Jones worked as chief of staff for Congressman Steve Chabot, as a regional representative for then State Treasurer Joe Deters, and as a district director for U.S. Senator Mike DeWine. She also worked with the Hamilton County Republican Party and on the Congressional campaigns of Chabot and Mike Turner.
When incumbent Tom Raga was tabbed by Ken Blackwell to run for Lieutenant Governor, Jones was mentioned as a potential replacement, and she eventually declared her candidacy. In the heavily Republican district, Jones won easily in 2006, and reelection in 2008. She served as House Assistant Majority Whip for the 127th General Assembly.
Bob Schuler, who had held the 7th Senate District since 2003, was unable to run again in 2010. Jones and former Representative Michelle Schneider were looking to replace him. However, Schuler died in June 2009, almost a year before the 2010 primary. The Senate Republicans had to appoint an interim senator to serve out the rest of Schuler's term. Among those who were named as potential appointees were Jones, Schneider and former Representative Tom Brinkman. Jones was chosen to be appointed to the Senate.
In 2010, Jones won the primary over Schneider by over 8,000 votes. She handily won the general election in 2010.
For the 128th General Assembly, Jones was appointed Vice Chair of the Ways and Means and Economic Development Committee. She was also a member of the Insurance, Commerce and Labor, Government Oversight, and Health, Human Services and Aging Committee. The senator was also recently appointed to the newly formed, six member bipartisan Budget and Planning Commission, which is tasked with exploring long term solutions to Ohio's budget challenges.
In the 129th General Assembly, Senate colleagues have chosen Jones to serve as the Senate majority whip. Senate President Tom Niehaus also named Jones as a member of the Senate Rules and Reference Committee; Energy and Public Utilities Committee; Finance Committee (as vice chair); Health, Human Services and Aging; and Insurance, Commerce and Labor. She is also a member of the Controlling Board; the Joint Legislative Committee for Unified Long-Term Services and Supports; the Legislative Service Commission; and the Warren County Transportation Improvement District.
Senator Jones introduced SB 5 in 2011, which limited collective bargaining for public workers. Americans for Prosperity commended Senator Jones for leading this effort, citing a study from the non-partisan Buckeye Institute that found that “state government workers today are paid much more than their private sector neighbors in 85 our of 88 counties” and that “total compensation packages for state government workers far exceeds their private-sector neighbors…”
Sen. Jones is an advocate of pediatric health and safety. She was the primary sponsor of legislation (now law) that requires young children to be properly restrained in a booster seat to prevent fatal injuries.
- Shoemaker, Anthony (2009-06-20). "Local state Senator dies". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- Husted, Jon 2010 primary election results (Retrieved April 17, 2013)
- Shannon Jones selected to serve as Majority Whip
- Hershey, William (2011-01-16). "Area state lawmakers take leadership spots". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- Jones named vice chair
- ["AFP-OH COMMENDS SENATOR SHANNON JONES FOR TACKLING MAJOR ARE OF REFORM" http://americansforprosperity.org/ohio/legislativealerts/021011-afp-oh-commends-senator-shannon-jones-tackling-major-are-reform/], Americans for Prosperity website, February 10, 2011 (Retrieved July 9, 2013)
- ["Senator Jones" http://ohiosenategop.com/senator/district-7/shannon-jones], Senate GOP Profile (Retrieved July 9, 2013
- The Ohio Senate: Senator Shannon Jones (R) - District 7
- Shannon Jones for Senate, official campaign website
- The Ohio Ladies' Gallery: Shannon Jones
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Shannon Jones (OH)
- 2006 campaign contributions at followthemoney.org