Draughn in the 2012 NFL season.
|Date of birth:December 7, 1987|
|Place of birth: Tarboro, North Carolina|
|High school: Tarboro (NC)|
|College: North Carolina|
|Undrafted in 2011|
|Debuted in 2011 for the Kansas City Chiefs|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 5, 2013
Shaun Draughn (// drone; born December 7, 1987) is an American football running back who most recently played for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of North Carolina. He signed with the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2011; he signed with the Kansas City Chiefs in October of that year and was released on August 31, 2013. He was signed by the Ravens on September 11, 2013. He was then waived by the Ravens on October 10, and next signed with the Indianapolis Colts on December 17, 2013, before being waived on December 21, 2013.
He was born on December 7, 1987 in Tarboro, North Carolina to ministers Shirley and Kenneth Draughn. He attended Tarboro High School where he won three varsity letters in football as a quarterback, defensive back, linebacker, and running back. As a junior, he recorded 952 yards and 18 touchdowns. As a senior, he recorded 253 rushing attempts for 1,452 yards, and 21 touchdowns. Draughn received all-league honors and was named the Red Zone Player of the Week three times and the Eastern Plains Offensive Player of the Year. The Daily Sentinel and The Daily Southerner named him the player of the year, and the Rocky Mount Telegram named him the offensive player of the year. Rivals.com named him the 10th-ranked, SuperPrep named him the 12th-ranked, and The Charlotte Observer named him the 18th-ranked player in the state of North Carolina.
Draughn sat out the 2006 season on redshirt status. He participated as a member of the defensive scout team. In 2007, Draughn played in 11 games, mostly on special teams. He saw action as a safety against James Madison and Virginia. He recorded five tackles, including two solo. In 2008, Draughn saw action in all 13 games as a tailback and recorded 198 carries for 866 yards and three touchdowns. He also made 16 receptions for 81 yards and one touchdown. North Carolina's running back tandem, featured back Draughn and short-yardage back Ryan Houston, is collectively known as "Thunder and Lightning".
Draughn signed with the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent on July 28, 2011, following the 2011 NFL Draft. He was cut on September 3 for final roster cuts before the beginning of the 2011 season.
Kansas City Chiefs
On October 5, 2011, Draughn was signed to the practice squad of the Kansas City Chiefs. After being on the practice squad for 13 weeks, he was promoted to the active 53-man roster and was placed third on the running back depth chart on December 31, 2011, after Jackie Battle was placed on the injured reserve due to a foot injury sustained in the Chief's Christmas-day loss to the Oakland Raiders. Draughn played against the Denver Broncos in the season finale as a special teamer.
Before the 2012 season started, Draughn was listed third string. During the final seconds of the season opener against the Atlanta Falcons, Draughn scored his first career touchdown while Kansas City lost 24-40. He scored another touchdown on a six yard carry during Week 9's game against the San Diego Chargers. Draughn finished the season with 59 carries, 233 yards, and 2 rushing touchdowns.
While Draughn was again listed as the third of four running backs on the Kansas City Chiefs depth chart, the Chiefs released him before 53-man roster cuts in August. Draughn was then signed by the Baltimore Ravens on September 11, 2013. Draughn saw limited action with the Ravens appearing in only three games. And, on October 10th, 2013 Draughn was released.
Draughn's next stint would come with the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts announced on December 17, 2013, that they had placed linebacker Pat Angerer on season-ending injured reserve and had signed Draughn. On December 21, 2013, Draughn was waived by the Colts.
- Player Bio: Shaun Draughn, University of North Carolina, retrieved June 18, 2009.
- Draugh: Opportunity Knocks, Scout.com, August 19, 2007.
- Shaun Draughn Statistics, ESPN, retrieved June 18, 2009.
- Thunder & Lightning, Scout.com, November 10, 2008.
- Draughn, Houston serve as Carolina's thunder and lightning, Tar Heel Times, November 11, 2008.
- Tar Heels' version of 'Thunder' and 'Lightning' have the offense rolling, Tar Heel Times, November 11, 2008.
- Redskins Sign Three Undrafted Rookies
- Redskins' Roster Is At 53 After Final Cuts
- Chiefs sign Shaun Draugn
- Draughn signed from practice squad, KCChiefs.com, December 31, 2011.
- INDIANAPOLIS COLTS MAKE ROSTER MOVES
- Kansas City Chiefs bio
- Draughn running well for Tar Heels, Switch from defense to offense a good move, Charlotte Observer, September 5, 2008.
- End zone eludes Draughn, but that's OK, News & Observer, November 21, 2008.
- UNC's Draughn lightning at RB, News & Observer, August 18, 2008.
- Heels' Draughn rooting against pal, News & Observer, November 13, 2008.
- Draughn a big part of UNC's future, Rivals.com, August 11, 2007.</ref>
- Up Close: Shaun Draughn, Part I, Scout.com, July 6, 2005.
- Up Close: Shaun Draughn, Part II, Scout.com, July 11, 2005.
- COLLEGE BOUND: Shaun Draughn, Rocky Mount Telegram, February 2, 2006.