Shijiazhuang Railway Station
|Shijiazhuang Railway Station (1987-2012)|
(See other stations in Hebei)
|Operator(s)||Beijing Railway Bureau,
Ministry of Railways of the PRC
Shiwu Passenger Railway,
Jingshi Passenger Railway
|No. of platforms||24|
|Major bus terminal(s) attached to the station|
The Shijiazhuang Railway Station (simplified Chinese: 石家庄站; traditional Chinese: 石家莊站; pinyin: Shíjiāzhuāng zhàn) is the main railway station of Shijiazhuang, the capital of Hebei Province of the People's Republic of China. Over the city's history, the name has been applied to several different facilities located in the main Beijing-Guangzhou railway corridor. The current Shijiazhuang Railway Station was opened in December 2012; it is one of the very few stations in this railway corridor that serve both the ("conventional") Beijing–Guangzhou Railway and the new Beijing–Guangzhou High-Speed Railway.
Besides trains running along the two north-south Beijing-Guangzhou lines, Shijiazhuang Railway Station is also served by many (but not all) trains going east or west, along the Qingdao-Jinan-Dezhou-Shijiazhuang-Taiyuan corridor, which includes both a conventional railway and the Shijiazhuang–Taiyuan High-Speed Railway. However, some of the trains in the east-west corridor don't enter Shijiazhuang Railway Station; they bypass the city center, and stop at the smaller Shijiazhuang North Railway Station instead.
In January 2013, a typical daily schedule listed 265 trains originating, terminating, or passing through Shijiazhuang Railway Station.
Shijiazhuang Railway Station is by far the busiest train station in Hebei's capital region. E.g., during the 4-day holiday period from December 31, 2012 through January 3, 2013, 198,000 passengers departed from this station, out of the 279,000 passengers that departed from all station of the Greater Shijiazhuang taken together.
The first railway station at what was to become the city of Shijiazhuang opened in 1903.
Between 1987 and 2012, the name "Shijiazhuang Railway Station" was applied to the facility located in downtown Shijiazhuang, at Qiaoxi District, on the border with Qiaodong District. (The border between the two districts runs along the railway). This station was closed on December 20, 2012, simultaneously with the opening of the new Shijiazhuang Railway Station. (See 石家庄站 (1987－2012年)). Administratively, the site is in the city's
The construction of the present-day Shijiazhuang Railway Station started in June 2010.; it was opened on December 21, 2012, just in time for the opening of the Beijing–Shijiazhuang and Shijiazhuang–Zhengzhou sections of the Beijing–Guangzhou High-Speed Railway.
To avoid confusion between the pre- and post-2012 stations of the same name, they are sometimes referred to as the "Old (老) Shijiazhuang Station" and the "New (新) Shijiazhuang Station".
Unlike most other cities along the Beijing–Guangzhou High-Speed Railway, where the high-speed line is routed away from city centers, and high-speed train stations are separate (and, usually, quite distant) from the cities' conventional railway stations, in Shijiazhuang a decision was made to construct a common station for the high-speed and conventional rail lines. This required extensive tunneling, with a 5-km long 6-track tunnel constructed under the city.   This was the first time tunneling (instead of e.g. constructing an elevated line) was used to run a high-speed railway through a city in China.
The new Shijiazhuang Railway Station is located about 3 km south of the old station, just within the city's Second Ring Road (南二环). This site is also near the border of Qiaoxi and Qiaodong Districts.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shijiazhuang Railway Station.|
- Shijiazhuang Railway Station schedule (Chinese)
- 石家庄火车站发送旅客27.9万人 (279,000 passengers departed from Shijiazhuang's stations), 2013-01-05. (Chinese) (According to the article, the second busiest station of the city was Shijiazhuang North Railway Station, with 37,000 passengers departing over the same 4-day period)
- 在“小村庄”上建起来的特等站 (Chinese)
- 石家庄新客站：西站房将于明年底投入使用 (The new Shijiazhuang passenger station: the western section will be opened by the end of the next year), 2010-08-30 (Chinese)
- Hung, Wing-tat; Brunello, Lara; Bunker, Jonathan, Critical Issues of High Speed Rail Development in China, p. 4
- 写在京广高铁全线开通运营之际 (The entire Jing-Guang High-Speed Railway is opened), 2012-12-27
- Newly-build high-speed railway line Beijing-Wuhan (China) - Shijiazhuang City Tunnel (Baugeologisches Büro Bauer)
- Meyer, Anna-Maria; Frühauf, Johannes; Gao, Jinfa (2011), Inner-city construction of a new high-speed railway line in China - Shijiazhuang City Tunnel and new Terminal as part of the Beijing-Shijiazhuang-Wuhan PDL, Geotechnik 34 (4): 285–290, doi:10.1002/gete.201100014
- Chinese high speed: in the wake of Wenzhou, by Han Qiao, 2012-07-01
- 石家庄新客站 (Shijiazhuang's New Passenger Station) on Baidu.com