Shotgunning is a means of consuming a beverage, particularly beer, very quickly by punching a hole in the side of the can or cup. A related technique, strawpedoing or snorkeling, is used for containers not easily punctured such as a glass bottle. A straw is inserted into the bottle to similar effect.
The technique works since a bottleneck is created where air entering the container to release pressure must travel through the same orifice as liquid leaving. The extra holes allows air to enter simultaneously as liquid leaves the main hole.
To shotgun a beverage, a small hole is punched in the side of the can, close to the bottom. In order to prevent the liquid from spilling out while the cut is made, the can is held horizontally, tilted slightly, and the hole is made in the resulting air pocket. The hole can be made with any sharp object. Typically a key, bottle opener, pen, knife, other sharp instrument is used. Those with significant experience sometimes create the opening using a thumb - a technique referred to as "renegading" and popularized by Tony Drewry, front man of the Texas band, Shotgun Friday. The drinker then places their mouth over the hole while rotating the can straight up. When the can's tab is pulled, the liquid will quickly drain through the hole into the drinker's mouth.
- The method of shotgunning a beer is demonstrated by John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga in the 1985 film The Sure Thing.
- In the 1993 film Dazed and Confused, teenagers are seen shotgunning beer at a party in the park.
- Film critic James Lipton once appeared on Late Night with Conan O'Brien and shotgunned a beer to celebrate spring-break week.
- In the 2007 comedy film Superbad, the characters Seth, Evan and Fogle are seen shotgunning cans of beer in a flashback.
- The 2002 mockumentary film Fubar features the main characters demonstrating and explaining the philosophy behind shotgunning beers.
- In the documentary on All Time Low's Straight to DVD (album), band members Alex Gaskarth, Jack Barakat and a friend are seen shotgunning cans of beer.
- In the comedy film Beerfest the main characters are seen shotgunning in some parts of the film.
- In the 2001 Irish short film Chicken, the character Mick attempts to teach his friend, Kev, how to "drink shotgun". Kev's failure to replicate the proper technique plays an important part in the development of the plot.
- In Project X (2012) The girl whom JB offers wine shotguns a beer
- In the 2005 Israeli film Hatulim BaFalafel, the character Noa shotguns a beer during a party scene.
- In Shameless US, Season 2 Episode 2; "Summer Loving", Mickey and Ian Gallagher shotgun a beer together at the baseball stadium.
- In the series Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, characters Jotaro Kujo and Funny Valentine are shown to shotgun beer
- "James Lipton - Inside the Actors Studio Season 10 - Bio - Bravo TV Official Site". Bravotv.com. Retrieved 2011-08-13.