Southern & Silverton Rail
Cs1 in the Silverton Rail livery introduced
in July 1998
Southern & Silverton Rail is an Australian rail operator providing freight haulage, hook and pull, terminal and shunting services, maintenance and first response/recovery services. It is accredited to operate in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland and South Australia. From February 2006 until March 2007 it was an operating division of South Spur Rail Services, before both were sold to Coote Industrial. In June 2010 it was sold to Qube Logistics.
The Silverton Tramway Company was formed in 1886 to build and operate the Silverton Tramway, a 56-kilometre (35 mi) long 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) narrow gauge railway running from Cockburn on the New South Wales/South Australia state border to Broken Hill. Over the years it operated 26 steam locomotives before purchasing three diesel locomotives in 1960/61. Following a new 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge line being opened in February 1970 by the Federal Government the line was made redundant, and the company concentrated on operating shunting services to the mines industry in and around Broken Hill with its remaining two diesel locomotives.
Having purchased a number of locomotives from FreightCorp and AN Tasrail, in 1995/96 Silverton Rail leased six locomotives to National Rail for use on Adelaide to Melbourne services as bankers to Tailem Bend.
In August 1999 Silverton Rail began operating iron ore services from Cobar to Narromine as a subcontractor to National Rail and relocated the majority of the fleet to Parkes Roundhouse. In August 1999 it also began operating trip workings in Sydney. In August 2000 Silverton began operating grain services from Nyngan to Sydney.
In February 2006 Silverton Rail was sold to Western Australian based South Spur Rail Services. The locomotives and rolling stock were sold to the Allco Finance Group and leased back. Silverton Rail was rebranded as Southern & Silverton Railway.
In March 2007 South Spur Rail Services was purchased by Coote Industrial. Following Allco Finance running into trouble, Coote Industrial was able to buy much of the former Silverton rolling stock in January 2008 through controlled subsidiary Greentrains. In June 2010 South Spur Rail Services was sold to P&O Trans Australia.
In April 2011 Qube Logistics acquired outright control and majority ownership of P&O Trans Australia. Qube Logistics purchased New South Wales freight operator Independent Transport Group in June 2012.
In 1990 Silverton purchased two ex Australian National 830 class from AN Tasrail followed in December 1994 by six New South Wales 48 class and New South Wales 442 class locomotives. Also purchased for parts were two 830s and three 48s.
In March 2003 twenty-four 80 class locomotives were purchased from FreightCorp with four returned to traffic. Around the same time nine C class locomotives were purchased from National Rail with seven placed in service and two sublet to Pacific National.
- "Silverton Tramway Company" (PDF). Progress in Rail Reform: Submission to the Productivity Commission. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- "Silverton" Railway Digest July 1985 page 189
- "Rail Authorities Face Loco Shortage" Railway Digest December 1995 page 16
- "South Australia" Railway Digest July 1996 page 37
- "Silverton Rail Update" Railway Digest October 1999 page 14
- "All Change for Cobar ore trains" Railway Digest March 2000 page 42
- "Silverton Rail" Railway Digest March 2001 page 21
- "And Now Silverton Starts Hauling Grain" Railway Digest September 2000 page 5
- Southern Spur takes over Silverton Rail RailExpress.com.au 1 March 2006
- Oberg, Leon (2007). Locomotives of Australia 1854-2007. Rosenberg Publishing. p. 9. ISBN 1-877058-54-8.
- Annual Report 30 June 2009 Coote Industrial
- South Spur Rail Services joins Coote Industrial WA Business News 26 March 2007
- Annual Report 30 June 2008 Coote Industrial
- Sale of South Spur Rail Services Business Coote Industrial 7 June 2010
- "Coote secures South Spur sale, agrees on rights issue terms". Business Spectator. www.businessspectator.com.au. 7 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- History Qube Logistics
- "Corrigan on fast track with $106m ports deal". The Australian. 19 April 2011.
- Qube expands regional rail capacity Qube Logistics 7 June 2012
- "Silverton" Railway Digest August 1990 page 286
- "State Rail's Locomotive Auction Results" Railway Digest January 1995 page 36
- "Silverton Rail Loco Transfer" Railway Digest January 2000 page 36
- 45s1 Vicsig.net
- C Class diesel electric locomotives victorianrailways.net
- 85 Class Vicsig.net
- 86 Class Vicsig.net
- Roberts, Lew. Rails to wealth. Privately published, Melbourne, 1995.