Simon Phipps (programmer)
Phipps was instrumental in IBM's involvement in the Java programming language, founding IBM's Java Technology Center. He left IBM for Sun Microsystems in 2000, taking leadership of Sun's open source programme from Danese Cooper. Phipps was not hired into Oracle as part of the acquisition of Sun Microsystems and his final day was March 8, 2010 when the two entities combined. Following Sun, he spent a year as Chief Strategy Officer of identity startup ForgeRock before becoming an independent consultant.
Phipps is currently CEO of the MariaDB Foundation, President of the Open Source Initiative and a board member of the Open Rights Group and of Open Source for America. He has served on a number of advisory boards for other projects, including the GNOME Foundation, OpenSolaris, OpenJDK, and OpenSPARC.
- Ibm Java Evangelist Speaks Of Java Tsunami http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CGN/is_n3418/ai_20635325/
- Sun exec takes control of open source projects http://www.infoworld.com/t/platforms/sun-exec-takes-control-open-source-projects-428
- The ripple effect of a GPL'd Java will reach far and wide http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3937
- Vaughan-Nichols, Steven J. (2013-04-23). "Look out, Oracle: SkySQL and MariaDB join forces". ZDNet. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- OSI Board of Directors http://www.opensource.org/docs/board-annotated
- "OSI Board Meeting Report". 2013-05-11. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Open Rights Group Board of Directors http://www.openrightsgroup.org/people/board#simon_phipps
- Open Source for America Board of Advisors http://www.opensourceforamerica.org/board
- About the GNOME Foundation http://foundation.gnome.org/about/
- Board Election 2009/Change Constitution http://poll.opensolaris.org/4/
- OpenJDK Governance Board http://openjdk.java.net/groups/gb/
- OpenSPARC Community Advisory Board http://www.opensparc.net/community/governance.html
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simon Phipps (programmer).|