Slim Cessna's Auto Club
|Slim Cessna's Auto Club|
Slim Cessna's Auto Club at Le Bukowski club
|Origin||Denver, Colorado, USA|
|Genres||Alternative country, gothabilly|
Lord Dwight Pentacost
Slim Cessna's Auto Club is an American country music band, originally formed in 1992 in Denver, Colorado. The constant in the band has been Slim Cessna, formerly a member of The Denver Gentlemen along with David Eugene Edwards and Jeffery-Paul of 16 Horsepower. Jay Munly (often credited as "Munly Munly") is also a key member of the current lineup of the band. In addition to contributing songwriting, vocals, and banjo, he also serves as a sidekick to Cessna on stage.
Their music includes elements of country blues, Southern gospel, gothabilly and other forms loosely grouped as Americana or alternative country. The Auto Club is sometimes labeled "country Gothic" due to the juxtaposition of apocalyptic religious imagery with stories of alcohol, violence, and relationships gone awry.
The other current members are Lord Dwight Pentacost, Danny Pants (Daniel Grandbois), The Peeler (Todd Moore), and Rebecca Vera. Former members of note are John Rumley (who also crafted many of the stringed instruments used), producer Robert Ferbrache, Ordy Garrison, Jon Killough (who also did the artwork for the 2005 live CD Jesus Let Me Down and "Buried Behind the Barn"), Shane Trost, Whiff (Steve) Cessna, Caleb Roberts, Frank Hauser Jr., Gregory Garcia Jr., Judith Ann Winters, Tim Maher, Reverend Glasseye, and Chadzilla (Chad Johnson).
Their fifth studio album, Unentitled, was released in March 2011.
April 2013 saw the release of "SCAC 102 An Introduction For Young And Old Europe" on Germany's Glitterhouse Records, which included a selection of fifteen songs from their studio albums ("Always Say Please & Thank You" and later). Five of the songs were re-recorded for this release. "SCAC 102" also included a live performance DVD which was filmed in April 2012 at the Lion's Lair Tavern in Denver, Colorado (produced by Nick Hansen-MacDonald and Trinocular Films).
Members of the Auto Club are involved with many other bands besides the Auto Club. Here are the bands and which members (and previous members) are involved in them.
Denver Broncos UK - Munly, Lord Dwight Pentacost, Slim Cessna, Rebecca Vera
Jay Munly (solo) - Munly (John Rumley has contributed)
Munly & The Lupercalians - Munly Munly, Rebecca Vera, Todd Moore (Chadzilla and Danny Pants have contributed)
Munly & The Lee Lewis Harlots - Munly, Rebecca Vera
The Denver Gentlemen - Slim Cessna, Frank Hauser Jr.
Blackstone Valley Sinners - Slim Cessna, Judith Ann Winters
Tarantella - John Rumley, Danny Pants, Ordy Garrison, Chadzilla, Shane Trost
Woven Hand - Ordy Garrison, Shane Trost
Open Road - Caleb Roberts
Reverend Glasseye - Adam Glasseye, Tim Maher
Kalamath Brothers - Frank Hauser Jr.
The Hush - John Rumley
Boxcar 7 - Whiff Cessna
The Strangers- Danny Pants, The Peeler
- Slim Cessna's Auto Club (1995 (self-released); 2001, Alternative Tentacles Records)
- American Country Music Saved Her Life (live) (1998) out of print
- Always Say Please and Thank You (2000, Alternative Tentacles)
- The Bloudy Tenent Truth Peace (2004, Alternative Tentacles) review
- Jesus Let Me Down (live) (CD released 2005, Smooch Records, Vinyl released 2010, Alternative Tentacles)
- Cipher (2008, Alternative Tentacles)
- Buried Behind the Barn (2010, Alternative Tentacles)
- Unentitled (2011, Alternative Tentacles)
- SCAC 20th Anniversary Volume 1 (2012, self-released)
- SCAC 20th Anniversary Volume 2 (2012, self-released)
- SCAC 20th Anniversary Volume 3 (2012, self-released)
- SCAC 20th Anniversary Volume 4 (2012, self-released)
- SCAC 20th Anniversary Volume 5 (2012, self-released)
- Jan 20, 2012 - Daytrotter Studio, Rock Island, IL (2012, Daytrotter)
- SCAC 102 An Introduction For Young And Old Europe (2013, Glitterhouse Records, CD + live DVD)