|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
|Nancy Soong Ai-ling|
14 June 1888|
Shanghai, Qing Dynasty
|Died||18 October 1973
New York City, New York, United States
|Spouse(s)||Kung Hsiang-hsi (1881–1967), married 1914|
Kung Ling-chieh (Louis C. Kung)
Soong Ai-ling (traditional Chinese: 宋藹齡; simplified Chinese: 宋蔼龄; pinyin: Sòng Àilíng), or Eling Soong (July 15, 1888 – October 18, 1973) was the eldest of the Soong sisters and the wife of H. H. Kung (Kung Hsiang-Hsi), who was the richest man in the early 20th century Republic of China. The first character of her given name is written as 靄 (same pronunciation) in some texts. Her Christian name was Nancy.
Born in Shanghai, Soong arrived in the United States at the Port of San Francisco, CA on June 30, 1904 aboard the SS Korea at the age of 14 to begin her education at Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia. She returned to China in 1909 after her graduation. In late 1911, she worked as a secretary for Sun Yat-sen, a job later succeeded by her sister, Soong Ching-ling. She met her future husband, Kung Hsiang Hsi, in 1913, and married the following year in Yokohama. After marrying, Soong taught English for a while and engaged in child welfare work.
She went to the United States in the 1940s. She died at the age of 83 on October 18, 1973 in the New York-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. She is interred in a mausoleum at Ferncliff Cemetery in Westchester County, New York.
Her children were:
- Kung Ling-i (孔令儀), female
- Kung Ling-kai (孔令侃), male
- Kung Ling-chun (孔令俊), also known as Kung Ling-wei (孔令偉), female
- Kung Ling-chieh (孔令傑), male, also known as Louis C. Kung, was later an American oil executive and married to actress Debra Paget, died in Houston, Texas 1996 He was married to Paget from 1964–1980, with one son Gregory Teh-chi Kung (b. 1964, businessman)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soong Ai-ling.|
- Seagrave, Sterling. The Soong Dynasty. Corgi Books, 1996. ISBN 0-552-14108-9.
|This Chinese biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|