South Hunsley School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009)|
|Location||East Dale Road
East Riding of Yorkshire
|DfE URN||118077 Tables|
South Hunsley School & Sixth Form College is a large secondary school and sixth form, situated in Melton in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England near the A63. In April 2010, the school became an Academy.
The school was founded as South Hunsley County Secondary School in 1956; it occupies a 48 acres (0.19 km2) site, and has been expanded since opening.
As of 2012 South Hunsley is a specialist Technology college. The school has new public sporting facilities including a swimming pool, gymnasium and a 3G football pitch. In 2007, 69% of pupils gained 5 grade A-C GCSEs including English and Maths, the best for state schools in the East Riding of Yorkshire, with almost 2000 students.
Concerns about safety of children travelling to the school along the busy A63 road led to a campaign to install crash barriers on the route. In 2011 crash barriers were installed on a stretch of the road near Welton.
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (October 2013)|
- Sarah Cruddas, science broadcaster.
- Alex Deakin, BBC weather presenter.
- Marc Pickering, actor.
- Debra Stephenson, actress.
- "1,000 back safety barriers campaign, but Highways Agency will not install them", This is Hull and East Riding, 6 September 2010
- "Crash barriers to protect school children on busy East Yorkshire road", www.jacksons-security.co.uk, 25 January 2011