South Mount Hawkins
|South Mount Hawkins|
South Mt. Hawkins Fire Lookout Tower as it appeared before the Curve Fire
|Elevation||7,786 ft (2,373 m) NAVD 88|
|Listing||Hundred Peaks Section|
|Location||Los Angeles County, California, U.S.|
|Range||San Gabriel Mountains|
|Topo map||USGS Crystal Lake|
South Mount Hawkins is located in the San Gabriel Mountains, and contained within the Angeles National Forest. The mountain was named after Nellie Hawkins, a popular waitress of the Squirrel Inn located on the North Fork of the San Gabriel River. Although the Squirrel Inn is long gone, Nellie has her name on Mount Hawkins and South Mount Hawkins. There are two ridge bumps between the two named summits and they are unofficially known as "Middle Hawkins" and "Sadie Hawkins".
South Mount Hawkins Fire Lookout Tower
For 67 years a Fire lookout tower stood on the summit of South Mount Hawkins It was built in 1935. It was one of the only all-wooden towers in Southern California. The tower was destroyed in the Curve Fire on September 1, 2002.
Road To Tower Platform
The Forest Service has abandoned the 7-mile (11 km) long dirt road which goes from the Deer Flats Group Campground located within the Crystal Lake Recreation Area all the way to the concrete platform upon which the fire watch tower used to stand.
Because the road has been officially abandoned, no significant maintenance on the road has been performed since 2010 and the condition of the road continues to deteriorate. Hikers and bicycle riders still find the road passable however there are washouts along the road up to South Mount Hawkins and the road is strewn with rocks and boulders, making the Deer Flats route up to the mountain difficult.
- "South Mount Hawkins, California". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "South Mount Hawkins (LO)". Hundred Peaks Section List. Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "South Mount Hawkins". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Durham, David L. (2001). Durham's place names of Greater Los Angeles. Clovis, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. p. 115. ISBN 1-884995-28-4.
- "South Mount Hawkins Lookout". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "South Mount Hawkins". Angeles National Forest Fire Lookout Association. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "Hiking Report". Simpson Hiking. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "Deer Flats Group Campground". Crystal Lake Recreation Area. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
|This Southern California location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|