||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (July 2013)|
Speed painting is an artistic technique where the artist has a limited time to finish the work. The time can vary, usually a duration is set from several minutes to a few hours. Unlike sketches, speed paintings may be considered "finished" after the time limit is up- its is generally accepted among painters that if a piece is altered after the allotted time, it can no longer be truly considered a speedpainting.
Speed painting is particularly common among digital media artists, because digital painting mediums allow for a work to circumvent drying times of traditional media. Digital media artists primarily use speed painting to practice working quickly and efficiently. Speed painting techniques are also frequently used in concept art, particularly in the early stages of a production when the polish of an individual image matters less than a clear basic presentation of many candidate concepts for consideration.
Speedpainted pieces both digital and traditional are considered by artists to be an excellent exhibition of the subjective skill of a painter, as the time constraint requires efficient rendering of form and detail and a deep understanding of their chosen medium to capture a complete, strong image, and leaves little time for noticing and correcting mistakes.
- Guggemos, Alexia (18 June 2013). "Alexia Guggémos: Speed-Painting aux Beaux-Arts de Paris: 15 artistes dans les starting-blocks" (in French). Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- Anthony, Cara (23 June 2013). "Speed painting - Easels in Frederick hosts art competition for second year". The Frederick News-Post. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- 3DTotal Firm (2009). "Digital Painting Techniques, Volume 1". Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- 3DTotal Firm (2009). "Digital Art Masters, Volume 4". Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Tonge, Gary (1 November 2011). "Digital Painting, 37 Advanced Tricks and Techniques". Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Blackburn, Tesai (24 February 2014). "Acrylic Painting with Passion: Explorations for Creating Art that Nourishes the Soul". Retrieved 18 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Speed painting.|
|This article related to art techniques is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|