St Winifred's School Choir
||It has been suggested that Dawn Ralph be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since December 2013.|
|St. Winifred's School Choir|
|Origin||Stockport, United Kingdom|
St Winifred's School Choir, from St Winifred's Roman Catholic Primary School in Stockport, United Kingdom, was a choir of children whose single in 1980 became that year's British Christmas number one single. Entitled "There's No One Quite Like Grandma", it spent two weeks at number one, and 11 weeks in the UK Singles Chart in total. Dawn Ralph provided the lead vocal of the song composed by award-winning record producer Gordon Lorenz. During the late 1970s and the 1980s, Miss Terri Foley trained and conducted the choir, who gave the Music for Pleasure record label its only UK No. 1 single.
They had also been previously recorded as the backing vocalists of another eventual number one song, "Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs" by Brian and Michael, which concerned the paintings of L.S. Lowry. In 1982, the choir released Christmas for Everyone; and Children's Party Time, which included 32 arrangements of songs including Abba's "Waterloo" and "Dancing Queen".
One of the children who appeared on television in the 1980 recording was Sally Lindsay, who has gone on to become an actress, appearing in the ITV soap opera Coronation Street. Another, Jennifer Hennessy, is also a television actress and has appeared in the BBC drama Doctor Who and the BBC comedy The Office. Two more, Christine Cheetham and Diana Dyer, featured in the Identity Parade line-up on an autumn 1998 edition of BBC panel game, Never Mind the Buzzcocks.
In November 2009, 14 of the original choir members reunited to record a new version of "There's No One Quite Like Grandma" in association with Innocent Drinks to raise money for the Age Concern charity.
- "St. Winifred's School Choir Discography - UK". 45cat. Retrieved 2014-06-26.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 479. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Invisiblegirl Archive". Invisiblegirl.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-06-26.
- Sally Lindsay at the Internet Movie Database
- Jennifer Hennessy at the Internet Movie Database
- Jamieson, Alastair (22 November 2009). "St Winifred's choir reunites for charity version of 'There's No-one Quite Like Grandma'". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2014-06-26.