Stabat Mater in F minor (Schubert)
Stabat Mater in F minor, D 383, is a musical setting of the Stabat Mater sequence, composed by Franz Schubert in 1816. It is scored for soprano, tenor and bass soloists, SATB choir, 2 oboes, 3 trombones, violin I and II, viola, and basso continuo (cello and double bass).
Rather than setting the Latin sequence of the Stabat Mater, Schubert used a German paraphrase by F. G. Klopstock, Jesus Christus schwebt am Kreuze. The work is sometimes referred to as the Deutsches Stabat Mater, and was written for the composer's brother Ferdinand.
Schubert had written a shorter setting of the Latin Stabat Mater in 1815, Stabat Mater in G minor, D 175, a single-movement piece of approximately five minutes' duration, using only four verses of the twenty stanzas of the sequence.
- "Jesus Christus schwebt am Kreuze" Largo, F minor, common time; choir
- "Bei des Mittlers Kreuze standen" B-flat minor, 3/8; soprano
- "Liebend neiget er sein Antlitz" Andante, C minor, cut common time; choir
- "Engel freuten sich der Wonne" Allegretto, G minor, 2/4; soprano and tenor duet
- "Wer wird Zähren" Larghetto, G minor, 3/4; chorus (divisi)
- "Ach, was hätten wir empfunden" Adagio, C minor, common time; tenor
- "Erben sollen sie am Throne" C major, common time; chorus
- Schubert authorised cuts in this movement from bars 19–46, and bars 65–71.
- "Sohn des Vaters, aber leiden" Andantino, G major, 3/8; bass
- "O du herrlicher Vollender" Maestoso, E major, cut common time; chorus
- "Erdenfreuden und ihr Elend" Allegretto moderato, A major, common time; trio
- — "Möcht ich wie auf Adlers Flügeln"... Più mosso, C major, common time
- "Daß dereinst wir, wenn im Tode" Andante sostenuto, F major, 3/4; trio and choir
- "Amen" Allegro maestoso, F major, cut common time; chorus
- Schubert authorised a cut in this movement from bars 101-115.
- Black, Leo (2003). Franz Schubert: Music and Belief. p. 27.
- Newbould, Brian (1999). Schubert: The Music and the Man. p. 139.
- Howie, Crawford (2008). "Small is beautiful: Schubert's smaller sacred works". In Reul, Barbara M.; Bodley, Lorraine Byrne. The Unknown Schubert. p. 60.
- Gibson, Michael. "Editor's notes, Stabat Mater (D383)".
- "Music of Spirit and Hope". Retrieved 15 March 2013. Programme notes for a concert by Cambridge choir "The Spectrum Singers", containing the text and English translation of Klopstock's Jesus Christus schwebt am Kreuze.