||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
Steve Ignorant with Crass, dec 1981
|Birth name||Steven Williams|
|Also known as||Steve Ignorant, Stephen Intelligent, Professor Ignorant|
Stoke on Trent, United Kingdom
|Genres||Anarcho punk, punk rock|
|Labels||Crass Records, Small Wonder Records|
Steve Ignorant (born Steven Williams in 1957) is a singer and artist. He co-founded the anarcho-punk band Crass with Penny Rimbaud in 1977. After Crass stopped performing in 1984, he has worked with other groups including Conflict, Schwartzeneggar, Stratford Mercenaries, Current 93 (under the name Stephen Intelligent), US punk band Thought Crime, as well as being an occasional solo performer.
He is also a sculptor, and has worked as a traditional Punch and Judy performer using the name Professor Ignorant. In recent years he has developed an interest in the history of traditional east London music hall performance.
On 24 and 25 November 2007 he performed Crass's entire Feeding of the 5000 live at the Shepherds Bush Empire, United Kingdom, backed by a band of selected guests. Other members of Crass were not involved in these concerts. "I acknowledge and respect Steve's right to do this", Penny Rimbaud said, "but I do regard it as a betrayal of the Crass ethos" Ignorant had a different view: "I don't have to justify what I do. (...) Plus, most of the lyrics are still relevant today. And remember that three-letter word, 'fun'?"
In 2010 Ignorant announced plans to do a tour called The Last Supper, performing Crass songs from the period 1977-1982 with largely the same band that performed with him at Shepherd's Bush, including Gizz Butt, Bob Butler and Spike Smith. In August 2010 Steve and Penny Rimbaud took to the stage together to be interviewed by John Robb on the literacy stage at the Rebellion Festival in Blackpool, England where they informed the large crowd that Penny has now given Steve his blessing to perform Crass material live. On Saturday November 19, 2011 Steve performed "The Last Supper" at The Shepherd's Bush Empire in London where he was joined on stage by Penny Rimbaud and Eve Libertine. This is the last time Crass songs will be performed live by him.
- Berger, George The Story of Crass (Omnibus Press, 2006.)
- A 2010 article from The Quietus claims that he's 53 years old.
- Shibboleth - My Revolting Life (Penny Rimbaud, 1999, AK Press, page 69)
- Sleeve note to Bullshit Detector volume 1
- Berger, George The Story of Crass (Omnibus Press, 2006, page 76.)
- ...In Which Crass Voluntarily Blow Their Own... CD booklet. "Steve and Penny had been writing and playing together since early '77, but it wasn't until Summer of that year that we had begged, borrowed and stolen enough equipment to actually call ourselves a band... CRASS" http://www.southern.com/southern/label/CRC/
- Berger, George The Story of Crass (Omnibus Press, 2006)
- www.punknews.org (apr 26, 2007)
- arts.guardian.co.uk (oct 19, 2007)
- www.southern.com (April 7, 2010)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Steve Ignorant|