|Directed by||Todd Solondz|
|Produced by||Christine Vachon
|Written by||Todd Solondz|
|Music by||Nathan Larson
Belle & Sebastian
|Edited by||Alan Oxman|
|Distributed by||Fine Line Features|
|Running time||87 minutes|
Storytelling is a 2001 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Todd Solondz. It features original music by Belle & Sebastian, later compiled on an album of the same name. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival.
The film consists of two stories that are unrelated and have different actors, titled "Fiction" and "Non-Fiction".
"Fiction," starring Selma Blair, is about a group of college students in a creative writing class taught by a professor who has affairs with his students.
The original version of the film featured a third story entitled "Autobiography", concerning, among other things, a closeted football player played by actor James van der Beek. The main character has an explicit sex scene with a male partner (Steven Rosen); the entire story was cut from the final version.
- Selma Blair as Vi
- Leo Fitzpatrick as Marcus
- Robert Wisdom as Mr. Scott
- Maria Thayer as Amy
- Angela Goethals as Elli
- Devorah Rose as Lucy
- Nancy Anne Ridder as Joyce
- Steven Rosen as Ethan
- Aleksa Palladino as Catherine
- Mary Lynn Rajskub as Melinda
- Tina Holmes as Sue
- Paul Giamatti as Toby Oxman
- Mike Schank as Mike the cameraman
- Xander Berkeley as Mr. DeMarco
- Mark Webber as Scooby Livingston
- John Goodman as Marty Livingston
- Julie Hagerty as Fern Livingston
- Noah Fleiss as Brady Livingston
- Jonathan Osser as Mikey Livingston
- Lupe Ontiveros as Consuela
- Steve Railsback as Mr. Kirk
- Franka Potente as Toby's editor
- Conan O'Brien as himself
Red box controversy
During the sex scene in the "Fiction" part of the film, a red box was added for the American version of the film, blocking the audience's view of a rough sex scene between Selma Blair and Robert Wisdom. This was used to bend the rules of the MPAA's rating system, allowing the film to obtain the R rating instead of NC-17. The box is not present in the international version of the film, although in the American DVD release, both options are available.
- "STORYTELLING (18)". British Board of Film Classification. 2001-10-03. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- Storytelling at Box Office Mojo Retrieved May 29, 2013
- "Festival de Cannes: Storytelling". Festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-10-23.
- Fierman, Daniel (Feb 6, 2002). "Kindest Cuts". Entertainment Weekly.
- Hubbell, Anne (January 11, 2002). "'Storytelling' at Sundance with Todd Solondz". CNN.
- Storytelling at the Internet Movie Database
- Storytelling at Box Office Mojo
- Storytelling at Rotten Tomatoes
- Storytelling at Metacritic