|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (June 2009)|
Nil Nisi Optimum
Nothing but the best
|Okotoks, Alberta, Canada|
|Headmaster||Dr. William Jones (September 2007)|
|Assistant principals||Mr. Marc Boulianne, Mr. Julian, Mrs. Gibson|
|Language||English (Spanish and French available for second language)|
|Mascot||Spartacus "Sparky" the Spartan|
|Colours||Green, Blue, White|
|Director of Admission||Mr. Bruce Mutch|
Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School is a private school in Okotoks, Alberta, just outside of Calgary. It has students in grades 1 to 12. Its grade 12 provincial exam scores are consistently some of the most highly ranked in the province, along with Old Scona of Edmonton. Strathcona-Tweedsmuir also ranks high in the IB system, as well as the annual Fraser Institute surveys. Strathcona is also an active participator in the CESI (Canadian Educational Standards Institute) program, and often volunteers teachers for inter-school evaluatory interaction. STS is also a member of Round Square and CAIS (Canadian Association of Independent Schools).
The school opened in September 1971 as the result of the amalgamation of two of Calgary’s oldest independent schools - Strathcona School for Boys (founded 1929) and Tweedsmuir: An Academic School for Girls (founded 1959). St. Hilda’s School (1889-1905) preceded Tweedsmuir School for Girls (1905-1949).
Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School has an Outdoor Education program involving various outdoor activities, typically a different activity each year for Grade 4s and up. Grade 10 students can take OE15, a class with several outdoor trips, as an elective. STS provides laptops to students from Grades 6 to 12. STS also utilizes Smart Boards.
- Primary school: Composed of grades one through six, the Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School primary school is an active participator in the PYP (primary years program), or the developmental IB program, optional preparatory course, designed to enable students to develop the skills necessary to continue into the rigorous MYP and IB programs in later years at the school. Currently headed by Ms. Sharon Gibson.
- Middle School: Composed of grades seven through nine is designed to continue the lessons learned in PYP (see "Primary School"), into junior high. Headed currently by Mr. Trevor Julian.
- Senior High: Composed of grades ten through twelve, the high school is a fully certified participator in the IB program, and consistently delivers some of the highest scores across the province on the diploma exams, and enriched course material. Currently headed by Mr. Marc Boulianne.
IB and Alberta Curriculum
At STS, students take mandatory standardized provincial tests in Grades 3, 6, 9 and 12.
For Grade 11 and 12, students have the option between full IB Diploma, a mix of IB and Alberta Diploma or just Alberta Diploma. All students, including full IB students are required to write the standardized Alberta Diploma Exams.
STS is authorized to offer Primary Years Program and IB Diploma. The IB Diploma courses include Biology HL, Biology SL, Chemistry HL, Chemistry SL, Economics HL, Economics SL, English A1 HL, French Ab. SL, French B SL, History HL, Mathematics SL, Physics SL, Spanish Ab. SL, Spanish B SL, Theatre Arts SL and Theory of Knowledge.
- Craig Adams - Ice hockey player
- Krys Kolanos - NHL Hockey Player
- Dave Pierce - Composer
- Nicholas Graham - Founded Joe Boxer
- Peter Lougheed - Former Premier of Alberta (attended Strathcona School for boys, founding school of STS)
- The Fraser Institute - Report Cards - School Performance
- "History of STS". Strathcona Tweedsmuir School. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- "Senior High - Physical Education". Strathcona Tweedsmuir School. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- "Outdoor Education". Strathcona Tweedsmuir School. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- IB Organization - School Statistics
- Notable Events in JOE BOXER History