|Slogan||Profiles In Self-Obsession
Left to right: Mark McConville, Jeremy Carter, Jeff Crocker and Matt Gourley
The audio podcast is presented as a collection of psychological case studies under the banner of 'Analytical Pscience.' The Superego Podcast was developed by clinical 'psychiatrists' Dr. Jeremy Carter, Ph.D and Dr. Matt Gourley, Py.T. The Superego mission statement: observe and record the phenomenon of megalomaniacal personality disorder, or MPD. Each month Carter and Gourley present case studies of characters with various personality disorders.
Nearly all the sketches are completely improvised in each recording session. The segments generally run 5–10 minutes unedited and Gourley edits them down to a 2-4 minute show length.
The Superego Podcast debuted in 2006 on iTunes. Originally developed as an audio podcast, Superego has recently added video 'Supershorts.' Carter and Gourley met while performing in ComedySportz and were founding contributors to Channel 101 where their show, Ultraforce was a number one series. Superego began in Long Beach, California in 2006 and features regular audio pocasts and less regular video shorts called Supershorts. The videos are the contribution of Jeff Crocker.
- John Hodgman (The Daily Show, Bored to Death)
- Jason Sudeikis (Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock)
- Drew Carey (Whose Line Is It Anyway?, The Drew Carey Show)
- Paul F. Tompkins (Mr. Show, Best Week Ever, There Will Be Blood)
- Joe Lo Truglio (The State, Reno 911!, Superbad)
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program)
- Andrew Daly (Eastbound & Down, MadTV)
- Derek Mears (Pirates of the Caribbean, Friday the 13th)
- Tom Scharpling (The Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling)
- Chris Tallman (Reno 911!, Chocolate News)
- Jeff Davis (Whose Line Is It Anyway?)
- Erinn Hayes (Worst Week, Children's Hospital)
- Lauren Pritchard (MADtv)
- Mike Rock (Chelsea Lately)
- Scott Chernoff (The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Kimmel Live!")
- Colin Hanks (King Kong, Orange County, Dexter")
- Shunt McGuppin
- Imogene Kanouse
- Mutt Taylor
- Bruce 'The Throat' Hume and Ed 'The Inflection' Olivas
- Milton and Dupree
- Trevor Lundgren
- The Reverends Allard H. Mundy Jr. and Merlin Escondante Daniels
- Dwight Loomis
- Grandma Queen Bee
- Grandma Jonesy
- Cylon Jim and Phil
- Hoyt Runyon
- Don DiMello (originated on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast)
- Orchard Glen High School Faculty
- Family Feud
- HR Giger
- Dwight Loomis is based on the actor George Buck Flower.
- The Character of Imogene was created after Gourley found the 'mouse' vocal filter on GarageBand.
- Bruce and Ed, the movie voice guys were developed by Carter and Gourley endlessly trying to annoy their ex-wife and ex-girlfriend respectively.
- Matt Gourley and Mark McConville appeared on an episode of Lingo! hosted by Chuck Woolery. They were dressed like aliens, as it was SciFi week. They won.
- Superego was originally conceived on a cocktail napkin at an Irish pub in Seal Beach, California.
- The characters of Vyvyan and Cyril from 'Pageturner Presents' are named after Oscar Wilde's two sons.
- Grandma Queen Bee and Grandma Jonesy are based on Carter and Gourley's actual grandmothers.
- The '3 Total Assholes' sketch with Jason Sudeikis and Joe Lo Truglio was actually recorded on a laptop, in a car.
- The number 710 is frequently used throughout the podcast, referencing the CA-710 Long Beach freeway.
- Trevor Lundegaard/Lungren/Rothstein never has the same last name.
- The Coach Helzevec character was thrown at Gourley in spite of the fact that he knows nothing about sports except to name check Dan Fouts.