|City of license||Brisbane, Queensland|
|Broadcast area||Brisbane RA1 ()|
|Frequency||1197 kHz AM|
|First air date||7 April 2003|
|Power||1,000 watts daytime
500 watts nighttime
|Callsign meaning||4 = Queensland
|Owner||Brisbane Interactive Radio Group, Inc.|
Switch 1197 (call sign: 4BI) is a community broadcast radio station operated by Brisbane Interactive Radio Group Inc. which is a community based not-for-profit youth organisation based in Brisbane Queensland, Australia.
Like other community radio stations that are located in the Brisbane licence area, Switch 1197 broadcasts on DAB+ Digital Radio, with the majority of its programming being that of a simulcast of its main terrestrial programming output.
Brisbane Interactive Radio Group Inc was founded in 1998, and was granted a series of temporary radio broadcasting licences, allowing shared transmissions with other aspirant broadcasters on 97.3 MHz.
In 2002, the Australian Broadcasting Authority, granted a high powered FM community licence to Christian broadcaster 96five Family FM on 96.5 MHz, and a high powered AM community licence to BIRGI on 1197 kHz.
Switch 1197 began test transmissions in late 2002 and began full time broadcasting at 8am on 7 April 2003, identifying as i-1197. From this period of time until January 2005, the station broadcast an uninhibited range of music genres and programming, with a slight focus on Top 40 music.
From January 2005, the station was re-branded to the programming format based upon its predecessor, Switch FM, focusing on playing a more Rhythmic format, which has remained to this day.
From September 2011, Brisbane Interactive Radio Group Inc voted in a new board, which revitalised the station with a new brand, new sound, new programs and a new scope.
In April 2013, the station celebrated its 10th consecutive broadcasting year on the AM band, by airing daily compiles of material collected both on and off-air over that decade-long period.
in 2004, Switch 1197 was the first radio station in Australia to stream with aacPlus technology and it continues to provide both near CD quality (64kbit/s) and Mobile (32kbit/s) compatible streams, as well as a 128k MP3 stream.
The stations general weekday daytime programming contains a Rhythmic music mix, with various announcers presenting entertaining and informative pieces. Various information segments are also aired, most with a specific focus (e.g. Local Events, Community Services and News among others).
The stations night-time and weekend programming focuses on more specialist musical and information programming of various styles. With the addition of Digital Radio, the station has begun to offer a wider choice in programming, with some content found only on the DAB+ Digital stream.
Some of the local specialist music based programming the station broadcasts includes:
- ReSound - Featuring alternative, local and non-mainstream artists and music.
- Oz Music - A focus on Australian artists, music, interviews and special guests.
- Yellow Brick Roads - A weekly show with electronic experimental alternative music.
Switch 1197 also broadcasts specialist music based programs produced from other sources within Australia, including:
- SoulGood - A house music program produced by Bill Fragos from Fresh FM Adelaide.
- Global Trance - A trance music program produced by DJ Contagious from Fresh FM Adelaide.
- Clubbers Drive - A club and DJ mix program produced by DJ Brendan and Steve Hart from Fresh FM Adelaide.
- The Forgotten Years - Time travel back in time and have a look at music from the 70s 80s and 90s.
The station also has a number of specialty information and entertainment based programming. Locally, this includes:
- Get Your Queer On - A community show for the LGBTI community with news, music, special guests and interviews.
- Switched On Brisbane - A program with all that's happening in Brisbane, observations and chat.
- The Wrap-Up - A weekly review of the sporting action from the weekend.
- Voices of Samoa - A series of cultural programs each week from local Samoan community.