Location in Turner County and the state of Georgia
|• Mayor||Wayne Wooddruff|
|• Total||1 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|• Land||1 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||390 ft (119 m)|
|• Density||496/sq mi (190.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0333176|
Sycamore is located at (31.670810, -83.633871).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 496 people, 186 households, and 135 families residing in the city. The population density was 497.4 people per square mile (191.5/km²). There were 209 housing units at an average density of 209.6 per square mile (80.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 81.45% White, 16.73% African American, 1.21% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.81% of the population.
There were 186 households out of which 34.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.8% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.9% were non-families. 24.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.0% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 20.6% from 45 to 64, and 15.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 88.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $19,063, and the median income for a family was $23,750. Males had a median income of $23,750 versus $17,143 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,346. About 14.4% of families and 25.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.3% of those under age 18 and 30.9% of those age 65 or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by relatively high temperatures and evenly distributed precipitation throughout the year. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Sycamore has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
Sycamore has no traffic lights.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Sycamore, Georgia
- via Associated Press. "Dave Prater, 50, Dies; Soul Singer of the 60's", The New York Times, April 13, 1988. Accessed November 4, 2007. "Dave Prater Sr., of the soul-singing duo Sam and Dave, was killed Saturday when the car he was driving went off Interstate 75 near Sycamore, Ga., and hit a tree. He was 50 years old.... Mr. Prater had lived in Paterson since 1974 and his body will be returned to New Jersey for burial next week, his widow, Rosemary, said Monday."