|Headquarters||8125 Highwoods Palm Way, Tampa, FL 33647|
|Stephen C. Gray, President/Chief Executive Officer
Morten Brøgger, Chief Sales Officer
Alfred de Cárdenas, President, Enterprise and Intelligence Solutions
Mary Clark, Chief Marketing Officer
Joe DiFonzo, Chief Technology Officer
Leigh M. Hennen, Chief Human Resources Officer
David W. Hitchcock, Chief Financial and Administrative Officer
Ed Lewis, Chief Strategy Officer
|Products||List of Syniverse products|
|Owner||The Carlyle Group|
Number of employees
Syniverse is a global company that provides technology and business services for the telecommunications industry. The company’s solutions make it possible for disparate technologies and standards to interoperate, so operators in the mobile industry can provide their subscribers with access to voice calls, data and other services as users move across networks around the world. Syniverse’s core service areas include messaging, roaming, network and database, and business intelligence solutions. The company began in 1987 as a GTE business unit called GTE Telecommunications Services Inc.
Syniverse was established in 1987 as a GTE business unit, GTE Telecommunication Services Inc. (GTE TSI). Soon after, the company launched voice clearing, settlement and exchange, post-call validation, and message rating services. During the following years, it established several call delivery, fraud and roaming products. In 1993, it developed the first wireless SS7 network to support intelligent network-based services.
In 1998, the company began to offer its services globally, providing interoperability services to Australia, China, Japan and Korea. It received an international leadership award two years later for expansion between Korea, Hong Kong, Japan and North America.
In 2000, the company became a wholly owned subsidiary of Verizon Information Services Inc. In 2001, the company changed its name from GTE TSI Telecommunication Services Inc. to Verizon Telecommunication Services Inc. That year, the company introduced several services. One was a global GRX service to allow GPRS users access to high-speed mobile Internet services. Another was a suite of mobile data services, including international SMS interoperability.
In 2002, TSI became an independent, private corporation after being acquired by a private investment group changing its name again to just Telecommunication Services Inc. In 2004, the company changed its corporate name to Syniverse Technologies.
On Feb. 10, 2005, Syniverse became a public company, trading on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol SVR. Also in 2005, the company developed a platform to distribute wireless AMBER AlertTM messages about missing children in the United States; offered the first 1xRTT/1xEV-DO solution to enable mobile data roaming for CDMA subscribers; and became a founding investor, board member and technical participant of dotMobi, the registry for the .mobi domain.
In 2006, Syniverse acquired Interactive Technology Holdings Limited (ITHL), expanding the company’s customer base in Asia Pacific and adding new products. The following year, Syniverse was appointed to provide wireless number portability services to both Singapore and Canada, and acquired the wireless data and financial clearing business of Billing Services Group Limited (BSG), expanding Syniverse’s global business.
In 2009, Syniverse became part of Standard & Poor’s Midcap 400 under the Global Industry Classification Index (GCIS) Wireless Telecommunications Services Sub-industry index and was selected as one of two companies selected to provide mobile number portability in India. Syniverse also acquired Wireless Solutions International (WSI) in 2009 and VeriSign, Inc.’s (NASDAQ:VRSN) Messaging and Mobile Media Services.
Syniverse began delivering text messages free of charge to pregnant and expecting mothers with the Text4baby initiative in 2010. In that same year, the company was chosen by CTIA - The Wireless Association to support the Latin America common short code (CSC) initiative. Syniverse uses its web-based platform to incorporate registry, CSC search and payment functionality.
On Jan. 13, 2011, Syniverse became a private corporation after being acquired by an affiliate of The Carlyle Group for approximately $2.6 billion. Shortly thereafter at Mobile World Congress 2011 in Barcelona, Spain, Syniverse unveiled its Mobile Video Broadcast Service, the industry’s first video communication solution that is interoperable across platforms, devices and networks. This service enables an operator’s subscribers to send live video to mobile handsets, PCs and social networks, delivering live peer-to-peer video communication as easily as sending an SMS.
In July 2013, Syniverse acquired MACH, adding significant capabilities within the roaming, messaging, network and fraud space that help to simplify complexities of the mobile landscape and enable all types of mobile service providers around the globe to deliver the experiences their end users demand.
On August 4, 2014, Syniverse announced that it completed its acquisition of Aicent. This acquisition is expected to expand Syniverse’s global communications network, drive increased value to customers through augmented real-time intelligence services, and extend the company’s global reach to mobile subscribers, enterprises and mobile operators. 
In 2008, Syniverse won three awards:
- GSMA's Global Mobile Award for Best Roaming Product or Service for Syniverse DataNet, the company's near-real time roaming data exchange (NRTRDE) solution that protects network operators and their subscribers from fraud and makes fraud easier to detect and resolve.
- Global Telecoms Business's International mobile service innovation award for its roaming anti-fraud protection
- The 2008 Florida Governor's Business Diversification Award for Innovation in the Mega Market (county population 800,001 and higher) category.
Awards Syniverse has won in 2009 include:
- Global Telecoms Business Innovation Awards "Wireless Network Infrastructure Innovation" for the Syniverse NEXTSM Advanced Messaging Hub.
- TBTF Industry Achievement Awards "2009 Innovation of the Year" for the Syniverse NEXT Advanced Messaging Hub.
- CEO Tony Holcombe was listed to Global Telecoms Business Power 100 list.
In 2010, Syniverse has won:
- For the second year in a row, CEO Tony Holcombe was listed to Global Telecoms Business Power 100 list.
- MobileTrax 2010 Mobility award in the integrated messaging category.
- GTB Innovation Award in the Wireless network innovation category.
- Two Business Marketing Association B2 awards for the Syniverse website and Syniverse NEXT video.
- American Business Awards finalists for Best House Organ/Publication for Synergy magazine and Public Relations for “We’re Syniverse” video.
- Two FPRA Tampa Bay Bronze Image Awards for "We're Syniverse" video (Grand Image Award and an Image Award).
- Syniverse Vice President of Value-Added Services Giorgio Miano was named to the 2010 GTB 40 under 40 list.
- "Company Profile for Syniverse Technologies, Inc.”, Business Wire, retrieved March 19, 2009
- "Syniverse Hldgs Inc SVR", Market Watch, retrieved March 18, 2009
- "TSI Now Syniverse Technologies", eWeek, March 1, 2004
- "Syniverse completes IPO, begins trading", Tampa Bay Business Journal, February 10, 2005
- "Wireless AMBER Alerts Up and Running", Wireless Week, May 17, 2005
- "Syniverse Signs Three More Wireless Operators for 1xRTT/1xEV-DO Solution; Syniverse Now Enables Mobile Data Roaming For More Than 115 million CDMA Subscribers Worldwide", TMC Net, September 27, 2005
- "Here comes dot.mobi", Telecom Redux, July 14, 2005
- "Syniverse acquires telecommunications business of ITHL", DQ Channels, June 23, 2006
- Victoria Ho, "S’pore on track for number portability" ZDNet Asia, December 26, 2007
- "Syniverse helps Canadians meet WNP deadline", Telephony Online, March 15, 2007 . Retrieved on March 16, 2009.
- "Syniverse expands international footprint with BSG acquisition", Telephony Online, April 2. 2007
- "Standard & Poor's Announces Change to U.S. Index", TMC Net, February 19, 2009
- "India Department of Telecommunications Selects Syniverse to Provide Mobile Number Portability", TMC Net, March 9, 2009
- "Syniverse Completes Acquisition of WSI", "Yahoo! Finance", May 15, 2009
- "Syniverse Completes Acquisition of VeriSign`s Messaging Business", "TMC Net", October 27, 2009. Retrieved December 9, 2009
- "Wireless industry targets pregnant women with m-health initiative", "RCR Wireless", February 4, 2010. Retrieved May 26, 2010
- "CTIA-The Wireless Association Announces New Latin America Common Short Code Initiative", "Earth Times", March 23, 2010. Retrieved May 26, 2010
- "Syniverse Technologies goes private with Carlyle Group deal", Tampa Bay Business Journal, Jan. 13, 2011
- "MWC - Syniverse delivers world’s first fully-interoperable mobile video communications solution to Korea Telecom", Mobile Europe, Feb. 15, 2011
- "Syniverse Completes Acquisition of MACH ", July 1, 2013. Retrieved July 1, 2013
- "MWC: Global Mobile World Awards 2008 announced", Mobility Site, February 15, 2008
- "GTB announces winners of 2008 Innovation Awards", Global Telecoms Business, September 9, 2008
- Stuart Doyle, "Governor’s Diversification Awards highlight 16 Florida businesses", Enterprise Florida, September 5, 2008
- "Syniverse Honored by Global Telecoms Business Magazine", "TMC Net", June 25, 2009. Retrieved December 9, 2009
- "TBTF Announces Winners for the 6th Annual Industry Achievement Awards", "TBTF", November 13, 2009. Retrieved December 9, 2009
- "Power100", "Global Telecoms Business", Retrieved December 9, 2009
- "Power100", "Global Telecoms Business", Retrieved September 30, 2010
- "MobileTrax Announces the 2010 Mobility Award Winners", "eMedia World", March 25, 2010. Retrieved May 26, 2010
- "Innovators honoured in 2010 GTB Awards", "Global Telecoms Business," June 7, 2010. Retrieved June 25, 2010
- “Award of Excellence Winners”, “Business Marketing Association” Retrieved June 25, 2010
- “Advertising, Web Sites & Blogs, Annual Reports & Other Literature, Interactive Multimedia, Video & Live Event Categories - 2010 Honorees”, “The American Business Awards,” June 21, 2010. Retrieved June 25, 2010
- “Image Awards” Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- Retrieved June 25, 2010.