Tampa Riverwalk is a phased open space and pedestrian trail development along the Hillsborough River in Tampa, Florida. The downtown Tampa portion travels alongside the Tampa Arts District and includes Curtis Hixon Park, the Tampa Museum of Art, Glazer Children's Museum, Rivergate Tower and adjacent atrium containing the Florida Museum of Photographic Arts. The Riverwalk extends to the Channelside District and is slated to connect up with part of Tampa Heights eventually. The project dates back to the 1970s. The long term goal is to complete a continuous path of 2.4 miles.
Construction of two parks along the Riverwalk began in 2004. In 2006 a $20 million fundraising campaign was launched to pay for the construction of Riverwalk. Tampa mayor Pam Iorio was a driving force behind the project and Bob Buckhorn has continued to advance the project since he took office. A $10 million federal grant request to help complete the project was denied in 2010. The City of Tampa is developing three new segments in 2011/2012 to create 1.8 miles of the pedestrian path for the 2012 Republican National Convention in August 2012.
- Mocoso, Tocobaga, and Pohoy mound builders
- James McKay Sr.
- Vicente Martinez Ybor
- Henry B. Plant
- Eleanor McWilliams Chamberlain
- Clara C. Frye. Nine historians including former Tampa Tribune reporter Leland Hawes and Tampa Bay History Center curator Rodney Kite-Powell selected made the selevtions.
- Cyril Blythe Andrews, a newspaper entrepreneur and local leader
- Cody Fowler, an attorney for working to end injustices
- Kate V. Jackson a Tampa businesswoman, philanthropist, environmentalist and local leader
- Peter O. Knight a Tampa attorney who was also involved in local politics
- Paulina Pedroso, an activist for Cuban independence and a civil rights leader
- Garfield Devoe Rogers, a businessman, philanthropist and creator of Rogers Park.
- PROGRESS ON TAMPA CIVIC PROJECTS // Mayor selects Riverwalk designer [SOUTH PINELLAS Edition] St. Petersburg Times - St. Petersburg, Fla. Author: VANESSA GEZARI Date: Feb 5, 2005 Start Page: 3.B
- Margaret Cashill Tampa's Riverwalk opens up new avenues April 8, 2011 Tampa Bay Business Journal
- DAVE SIMANOFF Downtown Gets Greener firstname.lastname@example.org Oct 22, 2004 Tampa Tribune
- Margie Manning Capital campaign launched for Tampa Riverwalk March 14, 2006 Tampa Bay Business Journal
- Tampa Bay Times (2011-12-19). "Feds deny grant that would have helped extend Tampa's Riverwalk - Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- [Riverwalk honors history] March 7, 2012 Tampa Bay Times
- Tampa's Riverwalk will honor city's history, people March 4, 2012 Tampa Bay Times Retrieved March 22, 2013
- Tampa's Riverwalk will honor city's history, people By Josh Poltilove March 4, 2012 TBO.com
- http://seminoleheights.patch.com/articles/mayor-bob-buckhorn-unveils-historical-monument-trail-honorees-a5ab94a2 Historical monument trail honorees] April 2013 Seminole Heights Patch
- Riverwalk adds six more leaders from Tampa history "The Class of 2013 honorees are C. Blythe Andrews, Cody Fowler, Kate Jackson, Peter O. Knight, Paulina Pedroso and G. D. Rogers." by ELIZABETH BEHRMAN Tampa Tribune staff December 3, 2013 TBO.com
- New monuments unveiled at Tampa's Riverwalk December 3, 2013 Bay New 9