Zhenhai, Ningbo, Zhejiang
|Died||May 25, 2014(aged 101)|
Tang Yuhan, or Hans Tang (Chinese: 汤于翰; pinyin: Tāng Yúhàn; 1913 – 25 May 2014) was a doctor and oncologist in Hong Kong. He was the president of Hong Kong Chinese Medical Association (香港中华医学会) and the founder of Tang Fund (汤氏基金).
Tang was born in Zhenhai, Ningbo, Zhejiang Province. He entered elementary school in Ningbo, and spent part of his childhood in Shanghai. He obtained his first M.D. from Shanghai Medical University (now medical college of Fudan University). He then went to Western Europe and continued his study in medicine especially in cancer therapy there. He obtained his second doctor's degree from the Catholic University of Leuven in Flanders, Belgium. After finishing his study in Europe, he went back to Shanghai. He served as the president of the Sino-Belgium Cancer Hospital of Radiation Therapy (中比镭定医院), which was the first Chinese hospital specialized in cancer therapy and treatment.
Tang went to Hong Kong as a doctor and businessman. He cooperated with Henry Fok in a series of investments. During this period, he became the member of Royal College of Physicians of London and Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh and was selected to be the president of Hong Kong Chinese Medical Association (香港中华医学会).
1990s and later
Tang visited Chinese mainland many times. As a member of Ningbo Group (宁波帮), Tang made contributions to Chinese education. A hospital affiliated to Ningbo University in Ningbo is named after him. He donated more than 10 million yuan RMB for this hospital, which was opened in 2005. To honor his donations, the Ningbo Government awarded him Honorary Citizenship of Ningbo in 1998 and the Zhejiang Government awarded him the honorary title of "Loving-Homeland Model" (爱乡楷模) in 2000.
- Member, Royal College of Physicians of London
- Member, Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- Member, Hong Kong College of Physicians
- Member, Hong Kong Academy of Medicine
- Member, FHKAM (Medicine)
- Member and former president of Hong Kong Chinese Association of Medicine
- Honorary director of the Medical School, Ningbo University
- Member list of the Society of Physicians of Hong Kong, official website of the Society of Physicians of Hong Kong.
- Journal of the Society of Physicians of Hong Kong, July 2014, p. 58
- "医学院2014届学生毕业典礼隆重举行". 学院新闻. Medical School of Ningbo University. 2014-06-12. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- (Chinese) Ningbo University and Ningbo Group, People's Daily Overseas Edition, December 12, 2003, Section 1 (mentioning that Tang is the President of Hong Kong Chinese Medical Association).
- (Chinese) Biography of Tang Yuhan, an official website of Ningbo government, March 5, 2002.
- (Chinese)Leng Xia (冷夏), Biography of Henry Fok (霍英东全传), Chapter 15 (available at sina.com), Chinese Opera Press (中国戏剧出版社) 2005, ISBN 7-104-02056-X
- (Chinese) Tang Yuhan, the Honorary Dean of Ningbo University Medical School, Ningbo Net.
- (Chinese) Ningbo Group, People's Daily Overseas Edition, June 29, 2007, Section 6.
- (Chinese) Tang Yuhan Medical Center Opened (汤于翰医疗中心启用), Ningbo Daily (宁波日报) January 28, 2005, reprinted in Sina.com.
- (Chinese) Biography of Chen Yunchang Published in Beijing, Zhangye Daily (张掖日报), April 9, 2003.