I this template is not for every single type of steel there is!; removing surgical stainless and HSS --Knife Knut 03:07, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
- I agree we shouldn't include all the AISI numbers in this template, but I'd like to consider adding a few more named phases and types to this template. I don't think there are many more named ones. I propose adding:
- These are all common and someone browsing about steels might want to know about them. Can you come up with enough more common named kinds of steel to suggest that things could get out of hand? —Ben FrantzDale 18:16, 17 June 2006 (UTC)
- Ok, lets compromise. I pulled surgical and high speed as they are subsets of stainless and tool steel, but left the irons as they are easily confused with, and are often used interchangably with steel.
- I suggest we split off "types of Steel" into a new template for starters.
- I dont know enough about templates and stuff to do it yet, but would be acceptable to put the different types under each classification. Surgical Stainless indented under Stainless, and the same with HSS.
- --Knife Knut 01:24, 20 June 2006 (UTC)
- Sounds good. What do you mean abou tthe "templates and stuff", do you just mean putting subheadings in there or something more complicated? —Ben FrantzDale 04:06, 20 June 2006 (UTC)
- no just keeping it simple where it is obvious that a given type of steel belongs to a certain group. I changed my mind about splitting the template now. Lets wait on that till it gets big enough to warrant it. --Knife Knut 00:45, 21 June 2006 (UTC)
Phases and microstructures
There seems to be some confusion in this template about the differences between the phases of steel and the various microstructures. Carbon-iron alloy systems only have four phases, which are ferrite (including all allotropes), cementite, graphite and austenite. These phases combine in various ways to form different microstructures, which are sphereoidite, pearlite, bainite, martensite and ledeburite. Alloy-steels, on the other hand, may have other phases, such as nickel-ferrite, but I think that would need to be a whole different template.
Personally, I think the phases and microstructures should be separated under different heading within this template. I'd do it myself, but have no idea how. Zaereth (talk) 20:31, 27 February 2012 (UTC)