Tennessee College of Applied Technology - Chattanooga
|Tennessee College of Applied Technology -Chattanooga|
|Type||Public Technical College|
|Director||Dr. Mike Ricketts|
|Campus||Chattanooga State Community College|
|Colors||Blue and Red|
The Tennessee College of Applied Technology at Chattanooga is one of 47 institutions in the Tennessee Board of Regents System, the seventh largest system of higher education in the nation. This system comprises six universities, thirteen community colleges, and 28 Colleges of Applied Technology. More than 80 percent of all Tennessee students attending public institutions are enrolled in a Tennessee Board of Regents institution.
The Tennessee College of Applied Technology - Chattanooga (TCAT) is the only TCAT that forms an integral part of the organization of a community college, forming a unit of Chattanooga State Community College, a Tennessee Board of Regents institution serving more than 2,300 students annually. The school was founded in 1969 as the Chattanooga Area Vocational Technical School. On July 1, 1981 the AVTS became a part of Chattanooga State. In 1996 the Tennessee Board of Regents renamed the AVTS to the Tennessee Technology Center at Chattanooga. In 2013 TTC Chattanooga was named the Tennessee College of Applied Technology - Chattanooga in keeping with its updated role as one of the leading edge technical colleges in the state of Tennessee.
The Tennessee Technology Center at Chattanooga became the Tennessee College of Applied Technology - Chattanooga on July 1, 2013 under Senate Bill No. 643 House Bill No. 236*. Approval of Public Chapter No. 473..
The TCAT-Chattanooga offers 21 one-year diploma programs and 7 certificate programs with a total of 42 faculty and staff, making it one of the larger divisions on the campus of Chattanooga State. The faculty members are dedicated full-time to teaching and advising students, being well prepared to teach, with many having work experience in business and industry.
The TCATs serve as the premier providers for workforce development throughout Tennessee. The colleges fulfill the mission by:
- Providing competency-based training through traditional and distance learning instructional delivery systems of the highest quality that will qualify individuals for employment and/or advancement in jobs.
- Providing high quality training and retraining of employed workers.
- Providing high quality training that is economical and accessible to all residents of Tennessee, thereby contributing to the economic and community development of the communities they serve.
Office the Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technology
Each of the Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technology offers programs based on geographic needs of businesses and industry. Therefore each college can have different academic programs and offerings. The following academic programs are available at TCAT Chattanooga.
- Air Conditioning/Refrigeration
- Automotive Mechatronics
- Automotive Technology
- Building Construction Tech
- Business Systems Technology
- Collision Repair
- Commercial Truck Driving
- Computer Operations Technology
- Diesel Equipment Mechanics
- Industrial Electricity
- Industrial Electronics
- Industrial Maintenance Mechanics
- Landscape and Turf Management
- Machine Tool Technology
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Assistant
- Motorcycle & Marine Service Technology
- Practical Nursing
- Surgical Technology
The Tennessee College of Applied Technology at Chattanooga State provides memberships and organizations for students, including the following:
- American Welding Society
The Tennessee College of Applied Technology - Chattanooga is accredited by the Council of Occupational Education (COE), a regional accrediting agency of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
- Staff (2013). "About us: the Tennessee Board of Regents". Tennessee Board of Regents. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- “Chattanooga State Community College.” Tennessee Blue Book 2009-2010. http://www.tennessee.gov/sos/bluebook/09-10/16%20TBR.pdf. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- TCAT Board Office
- TCAT Chattanooga Programs
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology - Chattanooga
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology Facebook Page
- TBR TCATs Profile
- Tennessee Board of Regents