Terry Jackson (running back)
|Date of birth:October 1, 1976|
|Place of birth: Gainesville, Florida|
|High school: Gainesville (FL) P.K. Yonge|
|NFL Draft: 1999 / Round: 5 / Pick: 157|
|Debuted in 1999 for the San Francisco 49ers|
|Last played in 2005 for the San Francisco 49ers|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of 2005
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Terrance Bernard Jackson (born January 10, 1976) is an American former college and professional football player who was a fullback, running back and special teams player in the National Football League (NFL) for seven seasons during the 1990s and 2000s. Jackson played college football for the University of Florida, and was a member of a national championship team. Thereafter, he played professionally for the San Francisco 49ers of the NFL. Jackson is now a college football administrator at his alma mater.
Jackson was born in Gainesville, Florida in 1976. His father was Willie Jackson, Sr., a former Gators wide receiver who was one of the first two African-American athletes to play for the University of Florida's Gators football team from 1970 to 1973. Jackson attended P.K. Yonge High School in Gainesville, where he was standout athlete for the P.K. Yonge Blue Wave high school football and basketball teams. In football, he played a variety of positions including fullback, strong safety, linebacker and tailback. Jackson's older brother, Willie Jackson, Jr., was an All-American wide receiver for the Florida Gators and played in the NFL.
Jackson accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, where he played for coach Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators football team from 1995 to 1998. Despite his versatility and demonstrated athleticism in high school, he was not highly rated by the recruiting services and he received one of the last scholarships offered by the Gators. Jackson, like his older brother, Willie Jackson, Jr., and his father, Willie Jackson, Sr., before him, wore football jersey number "22" for the Gators. The Gators coaching staff redshirted him when he was a true freshman in 1994, and he converted from strong safety to tailback to help meet the needs of the team in 1995, and memorably ran for 138 yards and three touchdowns against the Kentucky Wildcats. During Jackson's four seasons as a letterman, the Gators won Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships in 1995 and 1996, and the Bowl Alliance national championship in 1996. As a senior in 1998, Jackson was a team captain and a second-team Academic All-American.
Jackson was also as an SEC Academic Honor Roll honoree all four years, and was the recipient of an NCAA post-graduate scholarship. He graduated from the University of Florida with a bachelor's degree in business administration in 1998.
The San Francisco 49ers selected Jackson in the fifth round (157th pick overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft, and he played for the 49ers his entire seven-year NFL career from 1999 to 2005. Jackson was a solid interior runner, and had surprising quickness and power when he broke through the line. He was primarily used as a blocker and receiver out of the backfield on third down situations. Jackson was also a good special teams player and was a team captain of the special teams squad for several years. He had a limited role on offense in his final two NFL seasons.
Life after the NFL
- Florida Gators football, 1990–99
- History of the San Francisco 49ers
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- List of University of Florida alumni
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Terry Jackson. Retrieved July 1, 2010.
- Noel Nash, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois, pp. 59–61 (1998).
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Terry Jackson. Retrieved July 1, 2010.
- Robbie Andreu, "Jackson legacy grows at UF," The Gainesville Sun (September 15, 1995).
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 19, 93, 100, 125, 138–140, 148, 182 (2011). Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1999 National Football League Draft. Retrieved July 1, 2010.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Terry Jackson. Retrieved July 1, 2010.
- "Terry Jackson Added to Florida Football Staff," GatorZone.com (March 31, 2008). Retrieved July 1, 2010.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X.