The American Pageant
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011)|
|The American Pageant|
The American Pageant, Thirteenth Edition
|Subject(s)||United States history|
|Publication date||December 2008|
The American Pageant, initially written by Thomas A. Bailey, is an American high school history textbook often used for AP United States History, AICE American History as well as IB History of the Americas courses. Since Bailey's death in 1983, the book has been updated by historians David M. Kennedy and Lizabeth Cohen, and it is now in its fifteenth edition.
Twelfth edition 
Four different versions of the Twelfth Edition were printed. All are divided into six parts, from "Founding the New Nation" (with an initial chapter on prehistory, natives, and European exploration) through "Making Modern America." The six parts are subdivided into a total of 42 chapters spanning 1034 pages. The book's chronology officially ends in the year 2001, though later printings include an additional three paragraphs detailing the 2004 US election as well as September 11. Since then, the incumbent edition of the American Pageant included information regarding the 2008 Presidential Election.
The four versions of the Twelfth Edition are the Complete Edition, the version "For Advanced High School Courses," published by Houghton Mifflin. There are also two editions that split the textbook into two volumes: Volume I, which covers American history up to 1877, and Volume II, which covers the American history since 1865.
Thirteenth edition 
The thirteenth edition, released in 2006, contains 42 chapters in six sections. The book's chronology is updated, briefly covering the United States' invasion of Afghanistan, the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and the USA PATRIOT Act. Chapters 27 and 28 from the 12th Edition were combined in the 13th edition.
See also 
- Lies My Teacher Told Me: a criticism of American history textbooks including The American Pageant
- Bailey, Thomas. The American Pageant, A History of the Republic. Vol.1, 4th Edition. Lexington, Massachusetts: D.C. Heath and Company, 1971.
- Textbook Site for "The American Pageant: A History of the Republic, 11th Edition"
- Textbook Site for "The American Pageant: A History of the Republic, 12th Edition"
- Instructor Website for "The American Pageant: A History of the Republic, 13th Edition"
- Student Website for "The American Pageant: A History of the Republic, 13th Edition"
- Instructor Website for "The American Pageant, 14th Edition"
- Student Website for "The American Pageant, 14th Edition"