|Official website||Official website|
The Columbian is a daily newspaper for Vancouver, Washington and Clark County in Washington State in the United States. The paper was published for its first decade (1890-1900) as a four page daily that was meant as a counterweight to the local Republican newspaper The Independent. Printer Tom Carolan began publication of The Vancouver Columbian on October 10, 1890. It successfully hedged out daily competition, such as the former Independent, to become the sole daily in the city today. A former weekly The Sun which published for 39 years prior to going daily; was absorbed by the Columbian and for a time the paper was published as The Vancouver Columbian and the Sun. Today the paper is published by Scott Campbell, and is the newspaper of record for the Cities of Vancouver and Washougal.
Members of The Columbian's editorial board are Scott Campbell, Lou Brancaccio, John Laird, Douglas E. Ness and Jody Campbell.
The Vancouver Columbian was first published as a weekly on October 10, 1890, before becoming a weekday paper on October 19, 1908. Owned by the Campbell family since 1921, it occupied a series of offices in downtown Vancouver before building its own offices at what is now the northwest corner of Evergreen and Broadway in 1928. Relocating to larger headquarters in 1955, it published its first Sunday edition on August 6, 1972, its first Saturday edition on July 10, 1999, and changed from afternoon to morning delivery in July 2000.
The paper briefly relocated to new offices just south of Esther Short Park on January 13, 2008, but, citing declining revenue, relocated to their original building at 701 W 8th St by December of the same year in an attempt to avert bankruptcy.
On May 1, 2009, The Columbian filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection On February 5, 2010, the company emerged from bankruptcy. On June 10, 2010, the Columbian's temporary building was sold to the city of Vancouver to become its new City Hall.
- "The Columbian Publishing Co". The Columbian. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- As appointed by Washougal city code section 1.08.010, http://search.mrsc.org/nxt/gateway.dll/wsglmc?f=templates&fn=wsglpage.htm$vid=municodes:Washougal
- "The Columbian Timeline," The Columbian, January 11, 2008, page C8.
- "Columbian could file bankruptcy". Portland Business Journal. October 8, 2008. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- "The Columbian Seeks Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection". The Seattle Times. May 2, 2009. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Anderson, Julia (2010-02-05). "The Columbian is out of bankruptcy". The Columbian. Retrieved 2012-06-25.
- Damewood, Andrea (2010-06-03). "Vancouver reaches $18.5 million deal on City Hall sale". The Columbian. Retrieved 2012-06-25.